Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conflicted. Help me decide :) Tesla, or wife?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I jest.

Hi, I'm Steve.

I've been obsessing over the model S since I saw the first jpeg. I've always felt EV is the way to go, I think Tesla as a company reflects a lot of what I believe the future of corporate America should be (I'm Canadian, but whatever).... and then along comes this drop-dead gorgeous vehicle that seems to check all the boxes.

But. But....

It is bloody expensive. Don't get me wrong, I see the value. If anything, I think they are under-charging when you compare it to what you get with other vehicles in the same price range. But that's not what I mean. It is just absolutely expensive no matter what you're comparing it to.

I come from humble beginnings. We were on income assistance growing up... that sort of thing. My wife was the same. We both worked our way through university, got a house, etc to get us to where we are today. My point is, I always looked at status-seeking people who buy expensive cars as being, frankly, ridiculous. I don't look at that guy driving a lambo and think "nice car"... I think "poor guy, he needs that to feel good". Well, really I think "*******". And there's the conflict. I don't want to be that *******. There are starving kids, etc, etc.

How does one justify dropping $100k+ on a car? A car!? Not a house. Not a business creating employment. Not a park for kids to play on. A car. 4 rolling wheels.

But its more than a car, isn't it? Or is it? I keep telling myself that it has meaning. But then when I say it out loud to friends and family I can see them shaking their brains at me.

My wife gave me a financial goal a year ago that she didn't think we'd meet. The interesting thing (especially if you believe in fate or "signs") is that on the day I got to drive a Tesla for the first time this afternoon... our bank accounts rolled over that magic number just ever so barely. So, according to her anyway, as of today we can officially "afford" one, whatever that really means.

Man, I sure want one. But I dunno. Really conflicted.

Another reason the timing is perfect is I'm just in time to have a mid-life crisis (turn 40 next year... yikes).

Sigh.

Reply, give me advice and thoughs... or don't... I just wanted to get this off my chest :) lol.

Reply, give me advice and thoughs... or don't... I just wanted to get this off my chest :) lol.

She sounds the practical type, maybe you can make her happy by getting a cheaper deal? How about CPO? Or maybe just wait a little bit longer and buy used, i.e. buy used Leaf/Fiat 500e/Soul EV for a year (feeds your EV needs) and then pick up model S for even cheaper when the X comes out.

If a Model S is all it takes to finance your midlife crisis (or to avooid it), you will be saving a lot of money, and your wife ;)

Seriously. Don't give in to what you think other people will think. If it feels right then go for it.

Now that - on your own terms - you can afford it, do so and see where it leads you.

My own story:

I had my test drive in early 2012. For 3 months I struggled to find a way to financially justify it. I could find no way (remember it was a roadster, quite more expensive than an S). Finally I jumped on the premise that fun, joy, getting off gas etc. justify throwing conventional financial budgeting overboard (and I am an accountant by training).

Think about it: you live only once. And some don't even ...

When I bought my car, I invested some in TSLA stock. Has paid out handsomely and then some.

Johann

At the end of the day, you need to know yourself. However, there are a few pointers I can offer that may help?

I'm not sure where the "wife or car" conflict comes into play that you implied in your post title. But if you believe she is "the one" then work for it. Seriously, work for it. Even if that means you can't have the car. At the end of this life true, good and real companionship is what makes a difference. Cars, houses, first-class flights, vacations, status and money all can't buy that. And memories of luxuries fade quickly...

Now with regards to the Model S and if it is within reach: firstly, I would consider if it has to be a Model S or if you can wait for Model 3. If you "can't wait" always remember that the "new feeling" will wear off. I had many situations in my life where either others or I myself put enormous pressure on me to get something "now". With very few exceptions it doesn't matter if you have "it" today or later.

Secondly, have a look at CPO cars.

Thirdly, good luck man - you will work it out. I think there are many here who know what your going through...

I had similar concerns to you but I look at it this way: There's only one company in the world that builds a long range EV and, better yet, Superchargers that make long distant travel by electrical vehicles convenient and easy, I also own a Leaf but it's not very practicable. When my kids have kids, I tell them they will be told that their grandfather had two EV's, when barely anyone had one (which they will find hard to believe since EV's will likely be common). My legacy is important to me. I'm not naive to believe I am changing the world, but I do believe that Tesla can help in changing the world. We give billions in subsidies to big oil, but it took an American company to put superchargers in Canada at their own expense. If we have the money to support them, we should. I look at expensive vehicles the same way as you do, but I don't look at my Tesla that way. I look at my Tesla as my moral obligation, since I have worked hard, and I need to spend my money smartly, and on my kids, and their kids, futures.

At least that's what I tell myself....:wink: It has nothing to do with the absolute joy in driving it -- that I look forward to every day, and it never gets old or boring. In fact, it only gets better! I'm driving up to the Okanagan tomorrow stopping not a gas station, but the Supercharger in Hope. Our electricity in BC is 85% renewable hydro-electric. That's what's getting me around. Not tar sands or imported oil. Also, my daughter is starting UBCO in the fall and we need that Kelowna Supercharger promised on the map this year, but something tells me it might not get done. We need you aboard to help press for it!

Take the plunge, you won't regret it.

Last edited:
I'd say cpo is the right way to go. It will remove some of those worries and still put you behind the wheel of your dream machine.
Or go with basic S70 (there will soon be inventory and cpo ones also). I have similar troubles. It is hard to justify to oneself why spend almost all money i have on a car that will loose number value way faster than a new savings will accumulate.
But then again there are few so strong cravings in my life and money is only worth as much as much desires it can pay for. There is little use for huge bank account in old age.

It strikes me that people are more likely to regret what they didn't do, and what they did. If it's something you can do without putting your family into financial strife, then I say do it 100%. Regret lives in the past, worry lives in the future. Joy lives right now.

Model S.

It's funny, nearly everyone seems to know that Teslas are pricey, yet I've yet to come across anyone who seemed stuck on that fact. All the glorious things about the car that an ICE car doesn't have override those negative perceptions, it seems.

My family was so very excited for me when I got my car, almost as excited as I was. Owning and driving a Tesla makes you feel like you are a pioneer, and part of something..something really exciting. And then there's that, the driving. I feel like I'm piloting it more than driving it. Over 2 years later, still loving my beautiful electric machine.

I'm still not sure exactly how I convinced myself to spend this much on a car, but I have not regretted it. Not once. Not even a little.

Do it.

th-5.jpg

I read this response to the question about cost here on the forums (paraphrasing) "more than I would ever spend on a car and worth every penny". Unlike any other status car, you are paying to support The Mission, paving an environmental way foreword, voting with your dollars for improved vehicle safety and against deceptive sales practices, and getting an enjoyable ride in return. Buy the S now, get a 3 later, sell the S if you don't need two cars. Every mile counts.

I'm not naive to believe I am changing the world, but I do believe that Tesla can help in changing the world.
If we have the money to support them, we should. I look at expensive vehicles the same way as you do, but I don't look at my Tesla that way. I look at my Tesla as my moral obligation, since I have worked hard, and I need to spend my money smartly, and on my kids, and their kids, futures.

It has nothing to do with the absolute joy in driving it -- that I look forward to every day, and it never gets old or boring. In fact, it only gets better!

I read this response to the question about cost here on the forums (paraphrasing) "more than I would ever spend on a car and worth every penny". Unlike any other status car, you are paying to support The Mission, paving an environmental way foreword, voting with your dollars for improved vehicle safety and against deceptive sales practices, and getting an enjoyable ride in return. Buy the S now, get a 3 later, sell the S if you don't need two cars. Every mile counts.

So many +1's to the above I thought it better to just quote them and add a bit of bolding.

We had to really stretch to afford Sparky the S85. And that was after purchasing TSLA shares which made enough just to get us into position to be able to even start thinking about stretching. In the end the trigger for me was like Canuck and Gwgan - since I can't change the world, the next best thing is to support that which hopefully can - so the rationalization is my tiny little contribution to Tesla's profits may help them get to the Model 3. Of course the side benefits to that decision are enormous! (Just one of them, besides all the daily joy - is the Model S has brought back long distance road trips).

WRT Gwgan's quote paraphrase, forget "more than I would ever spend on a car", it was more than I spent on my first two houses. And, of course, worth every penny! Handing over that large cheque, though, for a car, man, that sure felt weird.

Also, it doesn't have to be that expensive($100k+ P85D). That's more in line with what you think of when you're talking about getting more then what you need. Like others have said CPO, inventory, or get a base model without air suspension etc. We got a P85 inventory with $940/m payments x 7 years @ 1.74%. Given our driving we save $300/m on gas alone. Plus you're driving a car with unlimited powertrain warranty. You can get a better deal if you don't get a performance model + CPO. I used to stress about getting an expensive car before we got it but now it seems ok. It's basically 6-700/m for our transportation needs(if you include gas savings). The $7,500 back on taxes is nice too!

Get the new S70 with textile seats. You've got supercharging, you're good to go!

I was a person that never bought expensive cars. I had Altima's, Tempo's , etc. Like you, I thought a car is just to get to your destination, so why spend a lot on it.
Then along came Tesla.
I managed to justify the purchase by looking at the total cost of ownership. I would be saving $350-$400 a month on gas.
When I added the numbers, I could afford it. My wife liked it since it was good for the environment. Tesla is the only ev around that had the range we needed.
A lot of people here have given you options. CPO car would cost less. Ultimately it is up to you. But I can tell you I have never regretted my purchase.
Good luck.
-to be forty again <sigh>. I hit the next big mark later this month.