Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Gov Brown pushes bill to reduce gasoline sales by 50% by 2030.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — As Gov. Jerry Brown prepares to travel to Rome next week for an internationalicon1.png climate conference, the debate over a bill aimed at reducing gas usage in California is heating up.

Brown fully supports SB-350, which would mandate a 50-percent cutback in California’s gas usage in the next 15 years, arguing that it’s a prime factor in globalicon1.png warming.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/07/16/gov-brown-talks-to-cbs2-about-bill-that-would-mandate-reduction-in-gas-usage/

Last edited:
Nice find, Rob. However, we both know that over the years our august State of California has enacted these progressive and tough laws to improve the environment and related areas only to cave in as the deadline draws nigh. Fifteen years is a lot of time to get things done, and done right. But the cynic in me believes that the lobbyists for the ICE manufacturers and oil and gas industries will start applying pressure to eviscerate much of this legislation by 2025. It would not surprise me one bit to see changes in another decade or so from 50% to 15%. But I hope I am wrong!

In the past, if the auto manufactures stuck together and said the technology was at least 20 years away to significantly reduce gasoline consumption at reasonable cost then CA government officials had little choice.

Now we have Tesla, the enfant terriblé of the auto industry who says all these regulations are far too lenient.

And maybe Nissan and/or BMW breaking ranks.

Then we have Faraday Future, Atieva and perhaps an Apple Motors division.

It may become viable to tell Ford and/or Toyota to go frack themselves and leave the CA market if they wish to not produce the necessary cars for the CA market.

CA may now have an alternative for personal transportation beyond the Confederacy of Luddites.

Strong words, well stated. It's time to stop Detroit from overriding policy and good sense.

In the past, if the auto manufactures stuck together and said the technology was at least 20 years away to significantly reduce gasoline consumption at reasonable cost then CA government officials had little choice.

Now we have Tesla, the enfant terriblé of the auto industry who says all these regulations are far too lenient.

And maybe Nissan and/or BMW breaking ranks.

Then we have Faraday Future, Atieva and perhaps an Apple Motors division.

It may become viable to tell Ford and/or Toyota to go frack themselves and leave the CA market if they wish to not produce the necessary cars for the CA market.

CA may now have an alternative for personal transportation beyond the Confederacy of Luddites.

This 50% reduction might actually happen naturally.

As you watch the rate of improvement in electric cars, it might become the mode of choice for car buyers in the not too distant future. Electric cars are faster, quieter, smarter, more convenient and have lots less maintenance.

As pricing approaches parity with fuel and even becomes less expensive, I could see a time when pollution belching fossile fuel cars would become far less desirable.

It's been about a year. Any new updates?

The oil lobby convinced Democratic legislators from blue collar districts that this legislation would place an overbearing economic hardship on "people that can't afford a Tesla."

They literally ran a commercial that said that. The bill was defeated.

Gov Brown said he is determined to reach the 50% reduction through regulation by State agencies if not through legislation.

The oil lobby convinced Democratic legislators from blue collar districts that this legislation would place an overbearing economic hardship on "people that can't afford a Tesla."

The very big oil lobby will do whatever it takes and say whatever it takes to sway one party this way or that. Probably lots of payola, political donations, gifts, and dinners with free-flowing, premium alcohol. Big oil is in bed with auto manufacturers that want to continue shoving ICE down our throats along with more fossil fuel. The sky is falling! Gov. Brown has no 'cojones' (translate Spanish to English here) to stand up to the unions. Yea, the same governor that was hanging with Linda Ronstadt (of Mexican heritage) back in the mid 70s. He should know what cajones are if he has any.

My brother said his $50K Dodge quad cab purchased in 2009 is now over $70K, so I wonder what the big deal is? If you can't afford a $70K Dodge ICE, perhaps you can afford a $42K Tesla, even though they're different kinds of vehicles. Build EVs if nobody is buying ICE (still too early). If Elon is thinking bigger EVs, why isn't Detroit? Oh, I forgot! We have the Chevy Bolt, well, almost but not bigger.

It's not about the environment; it's about protecting who put you in office, do what the union says and get re-elected. You scratch my back and I scratch yours.....

Gov. Brown has no 'cojones' (translate Spanish to English here) to stand up to the unions. Yea, the same governor that was hanging with Linda Ronstadt (of Mexican heritage) back in the mid 70s. He should know what cajones are if he has any.

Cajones is Cuban slang.

Huevos is the Mexican slang for the same word.

The literal translation of cajones is drawers. The literal translation of huevos is eggs.