Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dad with teenage son torn over getting Performance versus Standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been stressing over this for a year and would appreciate feedback. I've an S85 now and of course love it... But I'll be selling it to get the X. Got a low X reservation and need to decide soon about getting the PX or the standard X. I've got a teenage son who will be coming of driving age soon and who of course wants me to get the PX. I want to get the PX myself altho worried about my own speeding tickets, etc. But what I'm really worried about is that my son will kill himself (or others) with ludicrous speed. He is a very responsible kid, but a risk taker, nonetheless (like his Dad). My teenage daughter (older than my son) thinks I would be an idiot and a bad parent to get the PX - She rightfully points out that even our standard S85 (Tessie) is crazy fast and that her brother would be tempted to use the PX power in dangerous ways. She also thinks spending $30K for more power is just stupid, stupid, stupid. She, however, is not a car aficionado like my son or myself. Have any of you other Dads wrestled with this dilemma??? One friend suggested I just keep it in valet mode when I'm not driving, but I don't think that's practical or very respectful. I really am torn up about this... He will be driving the new X sometimes.

Even the regular version will be quick enough to get into trouble. Get the Performance version for yourself but I probably wouldn't let a teenager get into that car by himself especially if he has friends with him to be pressured into trying to show off the acceleration. Hopefully they'll come out with a 'teenager mode' that limits the performance but until then the Valet mode you and AEdennis mentioned above would be a good solution. I'd imagine most teenagers would be willing to take the time to try and crack the PIN though if it's only 4 digits. I know you're not a fan of Valet mode but think about what you would do when you were a teenager if given a 3.3 second car and you were out with your friends.

If it were me I'd go with a Smart ED. Only 2 seats, so can't get into trouble with a gang of friends in tow. 78mph so not going to get in trouble speeding. Range is 76 miles city, 59 hwy and 68 combined, so not going to get into trouble going on road trips.

One friend suggested I just keep it in valet mode when I'm not driving, but I don't think that's practical or very respectful. I really am torn up about this... He will be driving the new X sometimes.

As you're considering these issues in advance it sounds like you're being a good dad already. There's nothing disrespectful about protecting your son's life, even if you're protecting him from himself. Same goes for the practicality aspect.

Good thinking ahead.

Sounds like an improvement suggestion for Tesla, something midway between Valet Mode and full-on, a Parental Controls mode if you will - maybe programmed to a secondary key.

I don't think Valet Mode would be too bad either, if you'd talk it through. Given a choice of don't drive and drive in Valet Mode, I'm sure he'll make the right choice. :)

You will get many different responses to your question, I'm a car guy but my 60 has plenty of power for me. If I do purchase the Model X I will probably not get the P, after all it will be an SUV and used to go to the snow. How fast do you need to go, if you want power buy a Ferrari or a Jaguar F Type R.

I have a 16 y.o. who will be a senior this fall. There is zero chance he'll ever be behind the wheel of my Model S. I never drove the '65 Mustang, '68 Corvette or '76 Spyder. 'twas never an issue about which toys were mine and which were his.

My son has a six year old HHR I gave him last year. I thought I was spoiling him. Then I took a look around the school parking lot. SMH

When he goes off to college I might get him a LEAF. It's an engineering school and BEVs are right in his wheelhouse.

As you're considering these issues in advance it sounds like you're being a good dad already. There's nothing disrespectful about protecting your son's life, even if you're protecting him from himself. Same goes for the practicality aspect.
^^^This!!!
There is *nothing* wrong with letting him earn the right to drive it out of valet mode, say if he gets to age 18 without any accidents or tickets.
And while I respect your daughter's opinion, this is your decision. It's not stupid for you to enjoy the fruits of your labor and maturity.

Well said NigelM

@NevadacityMark: As people suggested let your son drive other EV like Nissan Leaf and I am not a favorite of smart EV and they are so small and I don't trust their crash ratings ...you son could drive X or PX when you are in the car with him.

Sounds like your daughter is more thoughtful and right. I cannot tell you whether to get X or PX ...it depends on one's preference.

I chose S85 because my wife thoughts are in the same line as your daughter's...spending $$ for extra speed is not worth it... Like you I disagree with their statements but nonetheless I am very happy with my S85 car and its acceleration.

Great points. May be consider giving him some driving freedom in the Model X, but with an adult in the car too until he gets a good amount of experience. Sometimes it's also about the reaction time as teenagers have to learn to respond correctly and quickly in certain situations.

This brings back memories. One of the things I learned after I started to drive was to slow down in some cases when I need to change lanes, allowing the other car to pass. Then I would get over. This is especially helpful when you only have 200 feet of road left in front of you, and it's a highway merge!

Get the car you want to get irrespective of how responsible your son is. if he wants to, he can get into a lot of trouble in a standard X. sure, the PX will be faster, but you are really splitting hairs here. If you want the P, get the P. If you feel a standard X will suffice, get that and save some $$.

just my $0.02

Do you let him into your liquor cabinet?

I hope that there are not many parents who let their teenagers take the Telsa out for joyriding (or what teens say will be "everyday driving" until they're out of parents' sight). It's irresponsible on so many levels. It could ruin your son's life and the lives of many others if he acts like a teenager in a Tesla.

My teenage son has driven my P85. Initially, only when we were in the car with him. Now with about a year of driving it on occasion with us, he has taken it a few times, but with no one else and not at night. The Model S is the safest car we own including the GL450. Of course, you have to evaluate your kids. Driving friends around is a no no.