Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Current P85D owners: Will you be going from Insane to Ludicrous?

Current P85D owners: Will you be going from Insane to Ludicrous?

• Yes, will be upgrading to Ludicrous ASAP

Votes: 91 61.1%
  • Nah, plenty happy with Insane. No fuse upgrade for me.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • On the fence. Will wing it for the next 6 months.

Votes: 39 26.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
Surprised that there's no poll yet on this :) Maybe, folks are still absorbing it all.

So, current P85D owners, are you going to upgrade to the fancy fuse? At $5,000 + labor (one quote put the total at $6,600) to go from Insane to Ludicrous?

Or, are you happy with 0-60 3.1 and stay with what you have?

Might you be on the fence and see how the next 6 months ago? I'm in this camp for now and will wait for early upgraders to chime in.

Note: it's pretty much been established that a battery upgrade to 90 isn't necessary for Ludicrous for existing owners so, please leave the battery upgrade out of this discussion/poll.

#firstworlddilemmas

From Elon's blog:
"It is important to note that the battery pack size upgrade and the pack electronics upgrade are almost entirely independent. The first is about energy, which affects range, and the second is about power, which affects acceleration."

The "almost" in there could be worth a tenth in performance off the 2.8. I would be "trust but verify" on fuse versus fuse+battery yielding identical times, because I read Musk truthfully saying "almost". We'll see, probably within 2 months.

From Elon's blog:
"It is important to note that the battery pack size upgrade and the pack electronics upgrade are almost entirely independent. The first is about energy, which affects range, and the second is about power, which affects acceleration."

The "almost" in there could be worth a tenth in performance off the 2.8. I would be "trust but verify" on fuse versus fuse+battery yielding identical times, because I read Musk truthfully saying "almost". We'll see, probably within 2 months.

Yes I noticed this and worry that the P85D won't be quite as quick as the P90D. I'm also suspicious because if you order a P**D and want ludicrous mode you HAVE to get the 90kWh battery. Is that because the larger/newer pack is necessary to get the full performance upgrade due to some other internal changes that just can't be retrofitted to existing packs? Tesla may be offering to upgrade what they can to P85D cars to get close so that customers don't revolt but it may not get us all the way to full ludicrous mode I fear.

Very simple...OF COURSE ! This is the cheapest "upgrade" cost I have ever seen for this kind of performance delta. And like all of the P85D performance it is simply "there" IF/WHEN you want to use it, and it doesn't "cost a penny" being there as you do your daily driving and "sane" mode style. My P85D is getting about 10% lower cumulative power draw (averaging 302 watts/mile for 14,000 miles) vs. my 2013 S85 (averaged 332 watts/mile for 24,500 miles).

This is just another big WOW for Tesla technology.

Tesla will just have to deliver the promised 3.2 sek on 0-100kmh. No upgrade needed. We are several owners in Denmark with poor performance on our Ds. Like 3.4 to 3.6 sek, not anything like the promised numbers. Several cars have been testes still awaiting Engineering..?

Perhaps the new fuse is our solution.. for free of course

Agreed. All signs seem to suggest that a P90DL may have some sort of an edge, albeit small, over a P85DL.

I guess this poll is really meant to be neutral on the battery upgrade front. That's an unknown expense at this time for existing owners.

And why is there no poll for NON P 85 NON D owners to upgrade to the 90 pack? I have 3 years and 75,000 on an A pack. What if I want to upgrade, to improve range? Why did Elon say "current 85 kWh packs can be upgraded for $3000"? He did not say 85D or P85, did not say both upgrades had to be done, au contraire, that they are separate.

So, yes, it is an unknown, but only in that Everyone tends to change their minds at Tesla and it costs more later. Or less. No one knows. An unknown, by definition.

Very simple...OF COURSE ! This is the cheapest "upgrade" cost I have ever seen for this kind of performance delta. And like all of the P85D performance it is simply "there" IF/WHEN you want to use it, and it doesn't "cost a penny" being there as you do your daily driving and "sane" mode style. My P85D is getting about 10% lower cumulative power draw (averaging 302 watts/mile for 14,000 miles) vs. my 2013 S85 (averaged 332 watts/mile for 24,500 miles).

This is just another big WOW for Tesla technology.

Well not exactly. We already paid for more hp than the current car delivers. It's likely that the $5K + labor costs is some sort of effort by Tesla to do right by those P85D owners who didn't get the vehicle they purchased.

Yes I will upgrade simply because I love the linear thrust of power the insane mode supplies. I always felt the car was handicapping itself in the 60 to 90 passing range and now this is corrected. I agree it is little money for 7/10s off the quarter mile considering what some of my friends pay for bigger turbos ,exhausts ,manifolds ,engine mapping etc .etc .for the same kind of upgrade performance.

I'm definitely going to get it done.

Not only will it improve resale value, it'll make a difference across all speeds, in which case, I'm pretty sure I'll notice it every time I put my foot on the accelerator pedal :D

I had a chat with an Owner Advisor, here in SoCal today. She was 100% adamant that the $5k upgrade makes my P85D into a P90DL. I confirmed twice that they'll be upgrading the battery to 90kWh as well, inc in the 5k, and she was 100% sure.

Not to say she didn't know what she was on about, but I really hope that's the case. 'twould be amazing!

I'm definitely going to get it done.

Not only will it improve resale value, it'll make a difference across all speeds, in which case, I'm pretty sure I'll notice it every time I put my foot on the accelerator pedal :D

I had a chat with an Owner Advisor, here in SoCal today. She was 100% adamant that the $5k upgrade makes my P85D into a P90DL. I confirmed twice that they'll be upgrading the battery to 90kWh as well, inc in the 5k, and she was 100% sure.

Not to say she didn't know what she was on about, but I really hope that's the case. 'twould be amazing!
if thats true its a done deal for me:) but I highly doubt that...

I'm 60/40 in favour of the upgrade at the moment, but want to see reports from the real wolrld about the 30mph+ perfomance first. Especially at highway speeds... Launch is brutal enough for me:)

This is where I am too. While 2.8 (or will it be 2.9?) 0-60 is fun, it's the 30-90mph performance that I use every day.

If the 5k also includes a new 90kWh pack, then I'm definitely upgrading, if for no other reason than resale. But I don't think this is the case, unfortunately.

I am certain that the Tesla employee you spoke to is incorrect about that pricing.
Currently for new orders the 90kWh battery is an additional $3K and adding Ludicrous Mode is an additional $10K. That is for new orders as shown on the Design Studio web page.
The cost to upgrade an existing P85D to a 90 with Ludicrous Mode is obviously going to be more than that because of the additional labor involved and because Tesla will have to take back a used 85 battery.
To the OP: where did this $5K upgrade figure come from?

Wasn't Elon very clear that upgrading existing P85Ds to Ludicrous was entirely separate from a battery upgrade and that he didn't recommend upgrading the battery? As far as I know the battery is not included and no pricing has been announced if it turns out it can actually be done.

I'd be inclined to jump on this sooner rather than later especially if it turns out they decide to stop offering the upgrade when it turns out the current battery (no pun intended) can't handle the current of going to 1500 amps. I'll even bet that this will kill the battery sooner (by popping cell fuses at the very least) and those who upgraded only to Ludicrous will eventually be getting a new battery under warranty 4, 5, 6, or 7 years in the future.

Will probably do it, but I have been on the bleeding edge of enough Tempting Tesla Technology; I will wait for a few of you other P85D owners to do the upgrade and report before making my final decision. Therefore, my token is one of the "on the fence" tally.

I am sure that there will be a few reports here on TMC soon after the first upgrades start happening.

Last edited:
Any insight on when this upgrade will be available? I've got my car going to the service center for squeaky brakes and loud A/C (again) at the end of this month. Asked if they could slap on lud mode. They said they'll be able to do the update in a few weeks, but that we (tesla owners) would be getting an email about it when they can do it. that didn't make sense.

Anybodh else hear differently on timing?