Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you upgrade the 85D to a 90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree upgrading from the 85 to 90 kWh pack probably doesn't make a lot of sense especially if you own a pre-autopilot car. The added range while nice isn't enough (for me personally) to justify the cost. Would rather wait a few more years until or if the range becomes an issue and also get all of the other improvements that come with a new car.

According to Elon, yes. Pricing not yet provided and he suggested one wait for a bigger upgrade.

That is not the way I understood it.
If you have a current 85 pack, you could upgrade now, but he suggested waiting a bit before enacting that transaction (best to wait for other future battery upgrades and further existing pack degradation).

Out of sheer curiosity... Purplewalt, how is what you're saying different from what Birhorn is saying?

In the report I read, Musk is quoted as saying that one should wait until one can get a 15% improvement in range since they expect to be improving by about 5% a year. In one other article, he is quoted advising owners to wait until near the end of their battery life. Personally, I'd hate to upgrade to 300 miles this year then find out that I could go to 315 miles next year or 330 miles the year after that.

In the report I read, Musk is quoted as saying that one should wait until one can get a 15% improvement in range since they expect to be improving by about 5% a year. In one other article, he is quoted advising owners to wait until near the end of their battery life. Personally, I'd hate to upgrade to 300 miles this year then find out that I could go to 315 miles next year or 330 miles the year after that.
+1. I plan to upgrade my battery pack about three or four years from now if then. With new Superchargers and rapidly growing infrastructure the increased range is just 'nice to have' for me even now, certainly not 'need to have'. Zero question, if I were ordering now I'd order the most storage I could buy, even if it meant waiting a few weeks for delivery.

I did read the quote--but if you upgrade from the 85kw to the 90kw battery pack--do you get an entirely new battery pack? Is it is to be in the $3-5,000 range? So the battery degradation % recycles to 100% and another 8 year guarantee? If true, then a car with 10-20,000 miles 1-2 years old, might make it reasonable. Is my Math wrong here?

I did read the quote--but if you upgrade from the 85kw to the 90kw battery pack--do you get an entirely new battery pack? Is it is to be in the $3-5,000 range? So the battery degradation % recycles to 100% and another 8 year guarantee? If true, then a car with 10-20,000 miles 1-2 years old, might make it reasonable. Is my Math wrong here?

The price hasn't been announced, but I don't think it will be close to $3-5k--very few people will take advantage of this offer. Elon telegraphed that in his blog.