Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Over day to decide: change my 85D to 90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car just went into production and I probably have one it two days to have it upgraded to the 90d battery pack. What's the consensus? Is 15 extra miles worth $3k? After there ANY other advantages to having the 90 pack? Better chance of a software upgrade? Cool badge? Etc?

My car just went into production and I probably have one it two days to have it upgraded to the 90d battery pack. What's the consensus? Is 15 extra miles worth $3k? After there ANY other advantages to having the 90 pack? Better chance of a software upgrade? Cool badge? Etc?

The general consensus from years of reading comments is "go for the biggest pack possible." You won't regret it and it gives you more options for the future. There are many many instances of 60 owners selling their car to go for a 85 or P85. The same happened with the "D."

So I'd say if the money is not really an issue, then yes.

You would be getting the most advanced battery pack they have.

Agree with Grendal.

Don't know if you will get a different badge or not, but it will be the best $3K you could spent.

Name of the EV game is actually longer range, not blazing performance (unless you have access to the Autobahn).
Never know when that last 15 miles will be the difference between making it to your destination.
Or not.

If I had a shot at it, I would take the $3k upgrade in a heartbeat. It doesn't seem like a huge amount of money for a larger cushion against the odd emergency where you don't have time to go top up.

I'm afraid that ship has sailed for my in-production 85D. With things being as they are, I think I'll hold out a few years for a larger upgrade before I commit to paying for it.

I'd say no. The added 5Kw of energy is almost double the cost per Kw in an 85 for only 17.5 miles additional range.
I've heard an 85 Kw battery is $25,000 ($294/Kw). The 5 Kw upgrade is $600/Kw. Too rich for my blood.

You've already bought into $10K for 30mi, $3K for 15 more miles is a steal in comparison.
IMO, I'd do it. But I still feel, 85D is overpriced compared to 70D.

I wouldn't bother unless you live in an area where superchargers are thin on the ground. The range increase is 5%. So only buy if you really really need it. Save that cash for 100 kWH upgrade in a few years. That would make a real difference.

When I upgrade to a D, it will be a 90D. Really only for one reason-- I intend to use it to go skiing, and I'd like to be able to turn on the pre-heat as I head down the mountain on my last run without having any concerns about range.

It's about a 165 mile round trip to my usual ski areas. My S85 does it with no issues, but I'd like that extra bit of comfort, even though it's not really necessary.