Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20" Wheels and TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put new 20" wheels on the car today, with new TPMS sensors. After a few miles of driving, the car recognized that there were new wheels and asked if they were 19" or 21". Being that these tires are much bigger than the 19"s, I opted for the 21" option. It successfully communicated and accepted the new sensors. Now the car is telling me that I am low on pressure on 3 of the 4 tires. I have a staggered set-up. 245/40's up front, 275/35's out back. Can someone who has 20"'s on their car please enlighten me how to get the TPMS to stop freaking out? What pressures are you running or what pressures is the TPMS looking for?

Many thanks in advance.

I went from 19 to 20 staggered and chose 19 when it asked. Pressures are set at 46.

uploadfromtaptalk1437193271234.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1437193286328.jpg

The TPMS is all about the minimum pressure threshold for activation/warning and has nothing to do with wheel/tire size. I can't remember those values anymore. I always start at 2 psi below the maximum pressure as stated by the tire manufacture and monitor tire wear. I have never bothered, nor do I care in the least what the final assembler recommends (which is tainted between marketing (cushy ride), engineering and other departments) . I have run my inefficient (they run wide and short) el-cheapo 20 Bridgestones at both 19 and 21 toggle positions without any issues.

@drsaab
In the future please don't mix pictures at various :confused: supercharger locations of your spectacular S with awesome 20's as I am easily confused. :biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
Got my MS back from the S/C today and as promised, photos of the new shoes. Folks over at the S/C were loving them. They are Forgestar F14 in glossy gunmetal. 20x9 up front, 20x10.5 in the rear. As it happens, it is not enough that the MS can now recognize new TPMS sensors through the touchscreen, it needs to recognize them in the correct location on the car, otherwise it will choke (ie. Front Right, Front Left, etc.). A quick wave of the magic wand at S/C got the car to recalibrate.

DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0022.jpg
DSC_0024.jpg
DSC_0017.jpg

Got my MS back from the S/C today and as promised, photos of the new shoes. Folks over at the S/C were loving them. They are Forgestar F14 in glossy gunmetal. 20x9 up front, 20x10.5 in the rear. As it happens, it is not enough that the MS can now recognize new TPMS sensors through the touchscreen, it needs to recognize them in the correct location on the car, otherwise it will choke (ie. Front Right, Front Left, etc.). A quick wave of the magic wand at S/C got the car to recalibrate.

View attachment 88153View attachment 88154View attachment 88156View attachment 88158
The Forgestar F14s are looking incredible Eric, thanks for sharing the pics!

Glad you got the TPMS issue sorted

Enjoy the wheels and let me know if you need anything else :)