Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Important terminology question - what are we going to call the ludicrous P90D

What should we call the ludicrous P90D?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I think P90DL but I can see how some might prefer the historically consistent P90D+.
Don't really need a thread on this, IMO. It's already called P90D, by Tesla, so it's a bit moot to ask now.

That said...

They didn't use "85DI" for "insane mode", but instead P85D. Using "P90D", for "the 90D with performance upgrade" is consistent.

As for the "+", that was used for a suspension and staggered wheels upgrade -- nothing to do with battery size, electronics, or motor capability -- so it doesn't make sense for the P85D -> P90D transition.

Don't really need a thread on this, IMO. It's already called P90D, by Tesla, so it's a bit moot to ask now.

That said...

They didn't use "85DI" for "insane mode", but instead P85D. Using "P90D", for "the 90D with performance upgrade" is consistent.

As for the "+", that was used for a suspension and staggered wheels upgrade -- nothing to do with battery size, electronics, or motor capability -- so it doesn't make sense for the P85D -> P90D transition.

The P90D does not have ludicrous mode as standard. It's a $10k option.

There will be P90Ds and there will be P90Ds-with-ludicrous-mode. Hence the question.

I tend to agree with you about the use of "+", but I can imagine others might think it was appropriate and reasonably clear.

The P90D does not have ludicrous mode as standard.
Incorrect, as I understand it. The 90D does not have ludicrous mode; the P90D does.

I suspect it's a design studio bug that you can configure a P90D w/o ludicrous mode.

They do all kinds of weird toggles around AWD with the various configurations. I think they just haven't fixed up the coding for ludicrous yet.

Last edited:
Incorrect, as I understand it. The 90D does not have ludicrous mode; the P90D does.

See design studio.

Edit:

90D is called 90D, that's easy, and the RWD version would be the S90 (or perhaps just the "90" which is what Tesla seem to be going for)

But P90D comes both in non-ludicrous and ludicrous variants and I'm already getting bored of typing the word ludicrous all the time!

Here you go - a P90D without the $10k Ludicrous option selected

2015-07-17_22h19_43.png

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect it's a design studio bug that you can configure a P90D w/o ludicrous mode.

Very odd kind of bug for them to have created a price and description and photo for an option that you think shouldn't exist at all (because you think it is standard on the P90D and not available on other variants).

Last edited:
Very odd kind of bug for them to have created a price and description and photo for an option that you think shouldn't exist at all (because you think it is standard on the P90D and not available on other variants).
Not really. Very tame bug compared to what I've seen from website designers (especially Tesla ones) in the past.

Anyway, we'll see what shakes out as people configure and report in.

For new owners you're correct, but if that's the terminology you want to go with it may be exactly what happens if existing owners get "Ludicrous but no new pack" for the $5k that's been mentioned in a few articles.

My Tesla rep has said that she doesn't yet know if the $5k upgrade includes the 90kw battery upgrade or not. If it doesn't, then there could be a small number of P85Dl vehicles that do exist.

My Tesla rep has said that she doesn't yet know if the $5k upgrade includes the 90kw battery upgrade or not. If it doesn't, then there could be a small number of P85Dl vehicles that do exist.

There's some confusion here.

Engadget's article says "the upgrade" is a $5k option.

Techcrunch says that the parts price of the uprated fuse is $5k (implying that you need to pay for fitting, and for a new pack).

Given the extra level of detail I'm inclined to believe it's the latter.

For new owners you're correct, but if that's the terminology you want to go with it may be exactly what happens if existing owners get "Ludicrous but no new pack" for the $5k that's been mentioned in a few articles.

Actually I just heard some more info direct from senior TM UK folks.

The P85D can have a ludicrous upgrade, without having to have a new pack.

The resulting car (a P85DL) makes 0-60 in 2.9s rather than the 2.8s of the P90DL.

This is what the $5k upgrade fee refers to.

But no new orders will be taken for P85DL cars - the only way to get ludicrous in the design studio is by starting with a P90D.

This fuse is in the pack. So I can't imagine that Tesla is going to take your pack, tear it apart and put the new fuse in it and then put it back together. Rather I suspect you'll get a new battery pack with the new fuse in it.

I'm also inclined to believe the order form that you can get a P90D and a P90D with Ludicrous Acceleration.

This fuse is in the pack. So I can't imagine that Tesla is going to take your pack, tear it apart and put the new fuse in it and then put it back together. Rather I suspect you'll get a new battery pack with the new fuse in it.

The fuse is part of the pack but it has its own plastic cover which you can remove without taking any of the main covers off. You don't need to go anywhere near the modules, coolant, control electronics etc - looks like a 10 minute job for a guy with the right torx driver and a healthy respect for high voltages.

Just make the badging a different color.

P90D vs. P90D
How about P85DL for those P85D owners who do not buy the new pack and P90DL for those who do? Just like the poll, but without the 90 for the upgraders. I'm surmising none of us will be sufficiently Ludicrous to replace our almost new 85KwH packs to get the extra 5% range. I';d also imagine that anybody with a 60 or 85 who upgrades to a 90 will also get a new 90 badge. That is only fair anyway. If Tesla does not furnish the new badges certainly EVAnnex or somebody else will do so.