Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the $5k P85D upgrade get you a ludicrous P85D or a ludicrous P90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hi there,[/FONT]

[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I spoke with someone at Tesla headquarter (i don't know someone in particular, I just dialled the sales line) and he told me that existing P85D owners will be able to upgrade to Ludicrous mode but won't be able to upgrade to 90kwh battery pack has it would be a P85D with a 90 battery pack. All model are based on the battery packs, same reason the 60 owner can't upgrade to a 70kwh battery pack. It's good news for us, P85D owner, who will still have the fastest Tesla on earth. He finised by saying that Tesla decided to make the upgrade possible in good faith with P85D owner![/FONT]smile emoticon
He

this is somewhat contradictory as if u go to design studio u can't select without the range upgrade... as a matter of fact it automatically selects for u... when u select the speed upgrade.

The sales man told me that it's impossible to buy a new P85D with ludicrous mode, but they CAN upgrade existing client as a mark of good faith. The mode doesn't need the new battery, they simply force new customer to get the pack.

The sales man told me that it's impossible to buy a new P85D with ludicrous mode, but they CAN upgrade existing client as a mark of good faith. The mode doesn't need the new battery, they simply force new customer to get the pack.

read the 2nd post here.. it says something about new contactors... i wonder if that is part of the 5k.. or new battery pack

Is Ludicrous only available in P90D? Or is it available via a software upgrade to P85D? | Forums | Tesla Motors

I just took delivery of my P85D on Sunday (July 12th), so totally surprised by today's big news. Had it been available I would have went all in on the 90D w/ ludicrous. I've been in touch with my Tesla Advisor already though... just got confirmation on upgrading my P85D. He said they're just "waiting on local pricing information and labour costs".

The hiccup for me is that I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada)... which makes my closest dealer in Minneapolis. Hopefully can do the work there asap as it's a much faster trip.

I'm guessing it will be a ludicrous P85D though... but have to say, if I do the upgrade part of me wants to see if they'd be willing to sell you the P90D badge to stick on the back. Or at least come up with a little ludicrous sticker to put next to it :)

Talked to service center:

- P85D will remain a P85D with upgrade to Ludicrous mode.
- Upgrade will cost around $6,600.00 with parts, labor and tax.
- P85D can not be upgraded to P90D (at a reasonable cost).
- The upgrade is available for in production; about to be in production; already produced cars - including delivered, cpo and inventory vehicles.

Edit - Super important: The P85D w/Ludicrous will have the exact same 2.8 sec 0 to 60 time!!!!

Let's be clear here, any battery pack option, 60, 70, 85 can be put into any other model s. They are all the same size, and people have done the upgrade from a 60 to 85 kwh before. The software should be different though, to limit power based on battery.

- The upgrade is available for in production; about to be in production; already produced cars - including delivered, cpo and inventory vehicles.

Edit - Super important: The P85D w/Ludicrous will have the exact same 2.8 sec 0 to 60 time!!!!

What about the more important 1/4 time and 20% faster to 155 mph?

I find this stupid that P85D owners have to pay for a upgrade that upgrades the car to performance number a 650-680hp car should have. Example the acceleration above 60 mph is far from 600hp+ car.
When I did buy the car I was promised 691 hp, we did not get anything close. The performance above 60mph is more like a 400 hp car.

What about the more important 1/4 time and 20% faster to 155 mph?

I find this stupid that P85D owner have to pay for a upgrade that upgrades the car to performance number a 650-700hp car should have. Example the accleration above 60 mph is far from 600hp+ car.

Except that Tesla never promised you specific performance above 60 MPH. Tesla promised you specific performance from 0-60 MPH. Nothing more, nothing less. You cannot hold Tesla responsible for an expectation that you created, but which they did not set.

That exactly matches what I have just heard from senior UK Tesla folks... EXCEPT that we have been told the "P85DL" makes 0-60 in 2.9s, not 2.8s.