Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Base S = $70k; Maxed out P90D = $145k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand? It's not the same car though, plenty of manufacturers have a larger gap between their slowest and fastest cars, for example: Audi A3 $29.9k vs. Audi R8 Spyder at $129.4k

It's the same Model, with identical appearance. Big difference from comparing a hatchback with a sports car. However, the M3 and M5 BMW variants are both over twice as expensive as the base model. That's directly comparable.

I don't understand? It's not the same car though, plenty of manufacturers have a larger gap between their slowest and fastest cars, for example: Audi A3 $29.9k vs. Audi R8 Spyder at $129.4k

It's the same base car. A3 and R8 are very different cars. MS 70 and MS P90D look almost identical, except for wheels and minor trim details, and share 85+% of their parts. Before anyone attacks me, I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just remarking on it.

I wish they would focus a little more on overall quality and options. Ventilated seats should be included on the upgraded interior, the seals around the door windows shouldn't let all the water flow down between the glass and the seal (after it rains or after washing the car the window has water streaks every time you roll it up or down). On non-executive rear seats the center passenger headrest should be able to be folded down so it doesn't obstruct the rear view. The cup holders in the center armrest are nearly useless, that console should have storage in it as well.

I like the bigger battery option, that makes sense, I just wish they would pick up the pace on other refinements to the over all quality of the car.

I wish they would focus a little more on overall quality and options. Ventilated seats should be included on the upgraded interior, the seals around the door windows shouldn't let all the water flow down between the glass and the seal (after it rains or after washing the car the window has water streaks every time you roll it up or down). On non-executive rear seats the center passenger headrest should be able to be folded down so it doesn't obstruct the rear view. The cup holders in the center armrest are nearly useless, that console should have storage in it as well.

I like the bigger battery option, that makes sense, I just wish they would pick up the pace on other refinements to the over all quality of the car.
There are, he said 20-30 engineering changes. Mind you, it was in context of weight savings. But he included everything was included in the refinement.

The Cayenne and BMW M cars are good examples, but a 320i looks way different than an M3. Throw some turbine wheels and a spoiler on a 40 and only a few people would be able to tell the difference standing still. I'm surprised there isn't a different front fascia, sideskirts and diffuser on the P85D/P90D.