Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster in 2019ish? (With Maximum Plaid)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
Do we think Elon was being serious or is this just being humourous with a Spaceballs reference?

I believe the exact quote is "There is of course one speed faster than ludicrous, but that is reserved for the next generation Roadster in 4 years: maximum plaid."

I hear rumors that the new car will be able to make the Kessle run in 2 parsecs.

That being said, I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time.

I'm unbeatable since Scotty finished getting the engines ready for Warp 9.

Ultimately I just want a car with a volume switch that goes up to 11.

In the mean time, I hear Roadster 3.0 is around the corner.

Best,

T

Last edited:
Do we think Elon was being serious or is this just being humourous with a Spaceballs reference?

I believe the exact quote is "There is of course one speed faster than ludicrous, but that is reserved for the next generation Roadster in 4 years: maximum plaid."

I think he was absolutely being serious as he made the joke. :)

I wouldn't put too much faith in the four years part, but I believe he means it that he's expecting to build a new, much faster, roadster in the future - probably off the lightweight version of the Model 3 skateboard that some of the dreamers have been speculating about, and with the 3P powertrain or an upgraded version thereof.

This isn't totally new as the Wikipedia page for the Roadster says:
Tesla stopped taking orders for the Roadster in the U.S. market in August 2011.[SUP][27][/SUP][SUP][28][/SUP] The next generation is expected to be introduced by 2018 and will not be based on the Lotus gliders but instead on a shortened version of the architecture developed for the Tesla Model S
which was discussed in this thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/47020-NextGen-Roadster-in-2018

I hear rumors that the new car will be able to make the Kessle run in 2 parsecs.

That being said, I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time.

I'm unbeatable since Scotty finished getting the engines ready for Warp 9.

Ultimately I just want a car with a volume switch that goes up to 11.

In the mean time, I hear Roadster 3.0 is around the corner.

Best,

T

LOL "I Live my life a 1/4 mile at a time" LOLOL!!!!

Certainly there will always be a traction limit limitation but a sub 3,000 lb car with dual motors, 110kWH battery (easy by 2019), Iconel contactors and the latest fusing will be beyond ludicrously quick. And it will have a "real world" 450 mile range.
All ICE sports cars will obsolete. Porsche, are you paying attention?

Certainly there will always be a traction limit limitation but a sub 3,000 lb car with dual motors, 110kWH battery (easy by 2019), Iconel contactors and the latest fusing will be beyond ludicrously quick. And it will have a "real world" 450 mile range.
All ICE sports cars will obsolete. Porsche, are you paying attention?

Mount a big suction fan in the center of the car, to get extra downforce on the tires. No problem. Like a reverse hovercraft. It could even vent to the rear to get extra thrust.

I've always found sufficient down force is generated by placing a beautiful woman in the passenger seat next to me.

Of course the problem is a larger battery and a down force creating suction fan might be more cost effective. ;)

Seriously guys, any new roadster will be taller, roomier, will take years to develop, and won't be nearly as much fun as our originals.

Best,

T

Mount a big suction fan in the center of the car, to get extra downforce on the tires. No problem. Like a reverse hovercraft. It could even vent to the rear to get extra thrust.
That did exist :D (until Formula 1 outruled it )

Brabham BT46 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8228tnudp.jpg

edit:
Wikipedia said:
Once a back-marker dropped oil onto the track, the remaining Brabham was in a class of its own, seemingly unaffected by the slippery surface. Lauda passed Andretti around the outside of one of the corners, who dropped out shortly afterwards due to a broken valve, and went on to win by over half a minute from Riccardo Patrese in an Arrows.

There was uproar from rival teams, who saw the "fan car" as a threat to their competitiveness. Lotus immediately started design work on a fan version of the 79. Bernie Ecclestone, owner of the Brabham team, had also been secretary of the Formula One Constructors Association (FOCA) since 1972 and became its president during 1978. According to Ecclestone's biographer Terry Lovell, the heads of the other FOCA teams, led by Colin Chapman threatened to withdraw their support for Ecclestone unless he withdrew the BT46B. Ecclestone negotiated a deal within FOCA whereby the car would have continued for another three races before Brabham would voluntarily withdraw it.[18] However, the Commission Sportive Internationale intervened to declare that henceforth fan cars would not be allowed and the car never raced again in Formula One. The car was not considered to have been illegal when it raced however, so the Swedish Grand Prix win stood. The two converted chassis were returned to standard BT46 configuration for the next race.

Brabham BT46B Fan Car in a BBC 4 Documentary About Gordon Murray - YouTube
The Brabham BT 46 b Fan Car F1 1978 - YouTube

Last edited:
Depends on if they get the power reduction due to overheating sorted out. The Porsche can run a trackday session without having to reduce power.
The percentage of all Porsche owners who ever take their car to the track is likely <1%. Negligible. Anyone who wants a sports car for track use can continue to buy an ICE. Everyone else will switch to EVs.