Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P90D does 1/4 mile in 10.8 and 0-60 in 2.8s. Question: Does P85D get any love?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happened to the boldfaced portion of this footnote to Tesla's P85D specs that was removed from Tesla's web site not that long ago?

"The P85D top speed is currently electronically-limited to 130 mph. In the coming months, we will be able to upgrade the car free of charge to enable a 155 mph top speed. This free update will be available for the lifetime of the car (not limited to the first owner). Additionally, an over-the-air firmware upgrade to the power electronics will improve P85D performance at high speed above what anyone outside Tesla has experienced to date. In other words, the car will be better than you experienced. This free upgrade will be rolled out in the next few months, once full validation is complete."

Today Musk announced a $10,000 Ludicrous Speed update. It wasn't exactly the "over-the-air firmware update" that was promised above. Am I not reading this correctly?

What happened to the boldfaced portion of this footnote to Tesla's P85D specs that was removed from Tesla's web site not that long ago?

"The P85D top speed is currently electronically-limited to 130 mph. In the coming months, we will be able to upgrade the car free of charge to enable a 155 mph top speed. This free update will be available for the lifetime of the car (not limited to the first owner). Additionally, an over-the-air firmware upgrade to the power electronics will improve P85D performance at high speed above what anyone outside Tesla has experienced to date. In other words, the car will be better than you experienced. This free upgrade will be rolled out in the next few months, once full validation is complete."

Today Musk announced a $10,000 Ludicrous Speed update. It wasn't exactly the "over-the-air firmware update" that was promised above. Am I not reading this correctly?

What happened to it? They released it.

The problem with continuous improvements is the continuous whine. And I'm not talking about gears.

I think that the OTA update referred to the improvement in top speed (to 155 mph) that was already rolled out. 0-60 isn't high speed performance, it's off the line performance. To my mind, high speed performance relates to speeds well above 60 mph.

What happened to it? They released it.

The problem with continuous improvements is the continuous whine. And I'm not talking about gears.

When did they release the software that I boldfaced? It seems like today's announcement fits with exactly what I quoted above, except that it's not an OTA update - it's a $10,000 build-to-order option.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that the OTA update referred to the improvement in top speed (to 155 mph) that was already rolled out. 0-60 isn't high speed performance, so I wouldn't expect the OTA high speed improvement promise to apply to speeds of zero to sixty.

If you read the quote, the top speed update and the boldfaced text are two separate updates. Tesla increased the top speed to 155 MPH. But so far, I don't think they delivered on the 2nd half of the quoted promise. Today's announcement seems to confirm that Tesla ran into some problems with releasing the full 691 HP of the P85D, so they decided to launch a new model to address the issue. My fear is that those who bought the P85D based upon the quoted promise may be a little upset today.

I think that the OTA update referred to the improvement in top speed (to 155 mph) that was already rolled out. 0-60 isn't high speed performance, so I wouldn't expect the OTA high speed improvement promise to apply to speeds of zero to sixty.
Reread the italics portion of Amped's post that you quoted.

The "Additionally" clause he bolded is clearly indicating a separate "OTA upgrade" vs. the "free update" of the first thee sentences.

@Amped - Yah, I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I expect the reality is "damn, we can't do it on the P85Ds with just software" -- just like they discovered the "damn, we can't do it on the A pack" with > 90 kW supercharging. Tesla is, sadly, building quite a track record here of overpromising what their updates can do. For example, using just these two examples I'm kind of nervous they are going to say that the before I purchased promises for autopilot will not be available on my P85D without hardware changes. It's a bit depressing.

When did they release the software that I boldfaced? It seems like today's announcement fits with exactly what I quoted above, except that it's not an OTA update - it's a $10,000 build-to-order option.

- - - Updated - - -

If you read the quote, the top speed update and the boldfaced text are two separate updates. Tesla increased the top speed to 155 MPH. But so far, I don't think they delivered on the 2nd half of the quoted promise. Today's announcement seems to confirm that Tesla ran into some problems with releasing the full 691 HP of the P85D, so they decided to launch a new model to address the issue. My fear is that those who bought the P85D based upon the quoted promise may be a little upset today.

Ok, I see what you're saying. I can't disagree, I misread it. Now I'm wondering as well...I guess the only way to read it is that there are two components to the top speed improvement. First, there's the increase in absolute top speed. Second, there is an improvement in the rate of acceleration at higher speeds. One has been delivered, the other, apparently not.

Ok, I see what you're saying. I can't disagree, I misread it. Now I'm wondering as well...I guess the only way to read it is that there are two components to the top speed improvement. First, there's the increase in absolute top speed. Second, there is an improvement in the rate of acceleration at higher speeds. One has been delivered, the other, apparently not.

Today Tesla said the P85D was power limited up to 30 MPH, and with the today's announcement the P90D will be power limited up to 60 MPH. That indicates a performance improvement at higher speed and sounds exactly like what Tesla promised months ago via OTA update. And today we find out it's actually a $13,000 update. If I bought based upon the promise, above, I might be a little upset.

Thanks for that link, stopcrazypp!

- - - Updated - - -

Today Tesla said the P85D was power limited up to 30 MPH, and with the today's announcement the P90D will be power limited up to 60 MPH. That indicates a performance improvement at higher speed and sounds exactly like what Tesla promised months ago via OTA update. And today we find out it's actually a $13,000 update. If I bought based upon the promise, above, I might be a little upset.
Please revisit your first sentence. I suspect editorial issue with polarity.

Early reports indicate $5000 for upgrade for existing P85D owners if done in the next 6 months. I guess that is a slight mea culpa on their part for the miscalculation (although I should note Tesla did match their advertised 0-60 and 1/4 mile specs with the P85D and this upgrade gives more performance beyond that).

Thanks for that link, stopcrazypp!

- - - Updated - - -

Please revisit your first sentence. I suspect editorial issue with polarity.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting. According to the live blog, here is what Musk said, and what I've communicated above that you are taking issue with:

Musk: "What it enables is for the car to not be pack-power limited beyond 30 miles per hour. Up to 30 mph, the car is limited by traction. Beyond that the limitation on acceleration is the current that can be safely extracted from the battery pack. The current limit is 1300 amps -- due to the fuses. In Ludacris thanks to the new smart fuse and new contactor, that limit can be raised safely to 1500 A -- so the car can accelerate at the same speed from 0-60 as it can from 0-30."

That still sounds a lot like what was promised in the footnote that I quoted upthread. Improved performance at higher speeds. I'll stop stirring the pot...

Last edited:
Technically, the motors aren't power limited up to 30/60 mph, but torque limited. Above those speeds they are power limited.

The performance of the P85D was improved since it was released - so I think that anyone upset about the P90D Ludicrous mode may have had their hopes set too high.

Frankly, I am very impressed at the rate at which Tesla releases hardware updates to the car. Go Tesla!

A lot of guys have been waiting for this upgrade at the drag strip...0-60 mph time 2.8 seconds with a quarter mile time of 10.9 seconds.

View attachment 87709
attachment.php?attachmentid=87709.jpg