Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous? RWD 70?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Q: What hopes do you have for additional sales with these tweaks?
Musk: “I have no idea. We are just trying to make awesome cars.”

Musk: people loved the “insane” mode, it’s been extremely well received.” But Tesla wanted to go beyond that with the ludicrous mode.

What happened to the boldfaced portion of this footnote to Tesla's P85D specs that was removed from Tesla's web site not that long ago?

"The P85D top speed is currently electronically-limited to 130 mph. In the coming months, we will be able to upgrade the car free of charge to enable a 155 mph top speed. This free update will be available for the lifetime of the car (not limited to the first owner). Additionally, an over-the-air firmware upgrade to the power electronics will improve P85D performance at high speed above what anyone outside Tesla has experienced to date. In other words, the car will be better than you experienced. This free upgrade will be rolled out in the next few months, once full validation is complete."

Today Musk announced a $10,000 Ludicrous Speed update. It wasn't exactly the "over-the-air firmware update" that was promised above. Am I not reading this correctly?

What happened to the boldfaced portion of this footnote to Tesla's P85D specs that was removed from Tesla's web site not that long ago?

"The P85D top speed is currently electronically-limited to 130 mph. In the coming months, we will be able to upgrade the car free of charge to enable a 155 mph top speed. This free update will be available for the lifetime of the car (not limited to the first owner). Additionally, an over-the-air firmware upgrade to the power electronics will improve P85D performance at high speed above what anyone outside Tesla has experienced to date. In other words, the car will be better than you experienced. This free upgrade will be rolled out in the next few months, once full validation is complete."

Today Musk announced a $10,000 Ludicrous Speed update. It wasn't exactly the "over-the-air firmware update" that was promised above. Am I not reading this correctly?

He'll over the air ship you the new hardware required ;)

The web shows u need the battery pack upgrade for total of 13k...anyone know if can backward retrofit ? No mention in mtg

The upgrades are now available on the Tesla order page ...

OMG... Wow... That's freaking nuts if you can afford it...
I'll wait and read here to see what people think of the extra $3K for a 90kwh battery vs the standard 85...
Jeff

Was there any mention of this is backward compatible with P85Ds?
I see now in web u can configure as a 90d now I understand how all the p85+ guys felt :(

What about existing owners of p85d

90kW battery speed improvement
can we get them?

The web shows u need the battery pack upgrade for total of 13k...anyone know if can backward retrofit ? No mention in mtg

Attachments

• Drive upgrade.JPG
    Drive upgrade.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 967
  • Range Update.JPG
    Range Update.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 952
I'm curious if the $10k ludicrous toggle is simply a software setting and the car is otherwise identical to a 90kwh P85D without ludicrous enabled, and stuck at merely insane. (Sort of how supercharging can be enabled on a 60 via software)

Going out on a limb, I'm thinking not. It's probably not a few more 18650 cells shoe horned in somewhere, it would be a chemistry change or a new pack geometry. Meaning a new pack.

Same cell configuration and geometry. Individual cells higher capacity thanks to new silicon anode.

My guess is the 70kWh pack already has these but they didn't announce it.

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't that the change from 3.2s to 3.1s which was released a while back?