Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 and 70D owners, how is acceleration in mountains and above 65mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering 70D since I superchargers are pretty close together on most major roads in CA, but I wonder about acceleration to pass at 60+ mph and especially on mountain roads like Donner Pass, Sherwin and Conway passes on US 395, Spooner Summit and Kingsbury grade where gradient can run upwards of 6%.

Thanks

Any passengers I've had simply can't believe the acceleration. Passing is unbelievable, almost stupidly fast, compared to ICE's. I'm an MS60 owner with 45,000 miles, and I would buy the 70D over the 85D even if money was no object due to a number of factors, including efficiency. Coming from a 530xi (a 255 horse 6 sp manual) there is just no comparison. At 60 mph, most automatics take nearly 3 seconds to respond to full acceleration. By that time the MS60 has leaped from 60 to 75mph and you have to start watching out for the fuzz. Effortlessly squirting around ICE's never gets old. Keep in mind the advertised 0-60mph time was very conservative. Even the MS60 is bloody fast at around 5.2 seconds. I've driven all flavors of loaners, and taken a 70D/P85D back to back test drive with the black tour. I recommend getting in an ICE once in awhile to reset yourself on how awesome even a 70D feels.

0-30 acceleration is insane compared to an ICE (obviously not compared to the 85D/P85D). 65+mph acceleration is good enough, though I've never taken the 70D over 90mph (you know, reduced range and risk of tickets...).

This has my worried and why I'll probably go with 85D

Test drive both. I find the acceleration of the 70D far above average. To be fair, I am not driving around on mountains.
I have driven an 85kWh across the Rockies and back and it handled the mountain passes very well.
The 70D handles better than the 85. I don't know if that translates to mountain passes.

Go see Jay at Fashion Island Tesla show room, and take a test drive. There are plenty of hills around Newport where he can take you to experience the acceleration on hilly situations.

From 65+mph - maybe the 73 toll road, but I don't know where else.

- - - Updated - - -

I have driven an 85kWh across the Rockies and back and it handled the mountain passes very well.
The 70D handles better than the 85. I don't know if that translates to mountain passes.

You could actually feel the better handling of D vs RWD? What were your observations?

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of people in Colorado drive turbo's due to the elevation. Since that doesn't affect the Tesla, I'll have to drive the 70D and 85D and see if the torque is sufficient to get up to the continental divide

Yes, you would have lots of 6% grades to try them out on.

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of people in Colorado drive turbo's due to the elevation. Since that doesn't affect the Tesla, I'll have to drive the 70D and 85D and see if the torque is sufficient to get up to the continental divide

I'll bet they do. I noticed during a recent drive on US 395 up to the top of 8100 foot Conway Summit, with cruise control on my Lexus RX350 set to 70 mph, that the car was hunting between two gears to try to maintain speed. I thought that with the smooth torque of a Model S that annoying jerkiness would not occur. There was also a much more noticeable acceleration lag with that naturally aspirated engine going uphill at high altitude than at sea level.

If you hop right into the 70D after a p85d, yes huge diff. However, that's not a "need" issue. I used to have a Saturn Sky turbo (5.5s car), and the MS 60 feels light years faster. You can get a good idea how fast 50-80 will be from the Tesla Model S 60 kWh vs Tesla Model S 85 kWh Performance | DragTimes.com Drag Racing, Fast Cars, Muscle Cars Blog comparison. You'll notice the 60 lags by only 10mph (102 versus 112) against the P85 in the 1/4 mile. The 60 is faster than the twin turbo 535xi in the quarter by a couple tenths. Not to mention you don't have to wait for any turbo lag and downshifting when passing.

- - - Updated - - -

Even more directly, the 535xi takes 3.8s to go from 50-70, versus 3.1 for the 70D. The BMW is already a very competent autobahn bred passer. http://m.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-tesla-model-s-70d-instrumented-test-review

For reference here is same mag reviewing the 535xi and other luxury sedans. Notice all are slower than the 70D from 50-70.
http://m.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2014-cadillac-cts-36-vs-audi-a6-bmw-535i-mercedes-e350-comparison-test-review-final-scoring-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-6

If you hop right into the 70D after a p85d, yes huge diff. However, that's not a "need" issue. I used to have a Saturn Sky turbo (5.5s car), and the MS 60 feels light years faster. You can get a good idea how fast 50-80 will be from the Tesla Model S 60 kWh vs Tesla Model S 85 kWh Performance | DragTimes.com Drag Racing, Fast Cars, Muscle Cars Blog comparison. You'll notice the 60 lags by only 10mph (102 versus 112) against the P85 in the 1/4 mile. The 60 is faster than the twin turbo 535xi in the quarter by a couple tenths. Not to mention you don't have to wait for any turbo lag and downshifting when passing.

- - - Updated - - -

Even more directly, the 535xi takes 3.8s to go from 50-70, versus 3.1 for the 70D. The BMW is already a very competent autobahn bred passer. 2015 Tesla Model S 70D Instrumented Test Car and Driver

For reference here is same mag reviewing the 535xi and other luxury sedans. Notice all are slower than the 70D from 50-70.
2014 Cadillac CTS 3.6 vs. 2014 Audi A6 3.0T, 2014 BMW 535i xDrive, 2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 Comparison Tests - Page 6 - Car and Driver

Thanks for the links. Those 50 - 70 acceleration tests are exactly what I needed to see, and as Colorado posters have pointed out above, at high altitude the 70 would out-perform those ICE vehicles even more decisively.

My 60 never has a problem getting past anything - even up very steep inclines.

Dont forget that if you do take a test drive, it's believed that those showroom cars are limited in power and top speed. Ideally, find an owner and ask for a ride/drive....

I think they are only limited by top speed, no power. You should still get full acceleration until 80mph.