Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Tesla for all the wrong reasons?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I've been thinking about Teslas for years now. I fit squarely in the demographic I would expect to be a prime buyer for this car: male, early 50s, computer-related career. They're not called the "Palo Alta Camry" for nothing. But I live in the Denver CO area.

The first thing I noticed once I started my online research: there is virtually NO one disappointed in their purchase. Say that about ANY other car...

Tuesday, Jul 14

I had applied for a test drive online. Heard nothing for a week, then a sales rep sent me a questionnaire and I immediately filled it out and returned it. Another week, no word. Then today "Your test drive is Thurs, Jul 16th at 10am in Boulder."

I hurriedly looked for a dealership in Boulder CO, but there isn't one. The email had no links under "Location" and just said "Boulder." I emailed my salesrep, but no reply.

Finally, I called a dealership down in Denver and got a salesrep who explained that they bring the car to you! This is certainly nice and convenient, but it would have been infinitely nicer if someone had told me. And I don't live in Boulder, making things all the more confusing.

Fortunately that was straightened out the night before my drive.

Thursday, Jul 16

The sales rep (a different gentleman from the above) was right on time with a Pearl White S85D base model. First thing I noticed: the car is simply beautiful. I've never seen a better-looking car in my life.

We went over all the options and features and so forth. I knew almost all of it from extensive reading.

He drove it first and was pretty aggressive. I actually felt a little queasy to my surprise. Just imagine if it was a P85D.

When it was my turn to drive, I was amazed at the 200 options for ... well, everything. The adjustments to the seat and steering wheel alone where fantastically complicated. I would probably choose something "good enough" and never touch it again. But I understand in luxury cars, you need to have all this stuff. It did make me wonder, however, if I was in the right car for me... I'd never considered a BMW or Porsche... not my style.

The pick up was great, cornering tight, and the best part... when I hit that "famous pothole" down the road from where I live, I barely felt it. That was amazing, actually.

I have driven a Prius T-6 for 7 years, so it did not feel eerie to not hear an engine, but the significant extra HP was very noticeable.

At the end of the drive, the (highly knowledgeable and courteous) salesrep answered the rest of my questions. I'd heard (from these forums) they don't get paid on commission. That's sort of true: their paycheck does depend on their ability to sell cars. But it doesn't matter which model or which options you buy, so they don't upsell. He was also doing tons of market research in the area to find potential buyers and I offered to help.

----

I'm probably going to buy one. But my reasons are lame. Maybe some of you can allay my reservations and tell me you don't think they are!! Help me get to the purchase point and I'm 99% sure I won't have any remorse.

Pros:

• I really believe in electric cars, and I can't do a Leaf after the awkwardness of driving a Prius in Colorado (they are freaking everywhere and they look super dorky). The Tesla is the ONLY good-looking electric out there
  • It's the most beautiful car I've ever seen and I'd be proud to drive it.
  • AWD in Colorado is soooo nice (my Prius is FWD).
  • At 6'1" I can still sleep in the back comfortably!
  • I can afford it.
  • I'm a huge Musk fanboy and this would help support what he's doing.

Cons
:

• I don't need a sportscar or a luxury car and neither aspect appeals to me.
  • The Model 3 will be out in 2 years and I could just wait for a "more modest" car. Please talk me out of this!!
  • I hate the idea of being seen as pretentious or being someone who cares about "conspicuous consumption" or displays of wealth.
  • I occasionally have to travel to (and park in) bad neighborhoods. Vandalism target, no? (I'm thinking of keeping my Prius for THIS reason only! But really don't want to own two cars.)

Notice that my "Cons" have more to do with owning a nice car than anything to do with Tesla specifically. So, do you think my Pros are "the wrong reasons?" I don't really want a luxury car or a sportscar. I don't much car about performance or handling. But I want an all-electric with good range and AWD, so there's really no other option, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see an "edit" option, so I'm reposting!

Believe me, I didn't type my post that way! Grr...

(For you computer nerds, I "fixed" it by pasting in to a local file, then navigating with my browser to "file:///Users/me/x.html" to get the browser to render, then cut-and-pasted back here. Fonts are still hosed, but it's legible now, at least). If a mod would replace my original post with this one and delete all other posts, that would really clean up the thread! :)

==========================================================

I've been thinking about Teslas for years now. I fit squarely in the demographic I would expect to be a prime buyer for this car: male, early 50s, computer-related career. They're not called the "Palo Alta Camry" for nothing. But I live in the Denver CO area.

The first thing I noticed once I started my online research: there is virtually NO one disappointed in their purchase. Say that about ANY other car...

Tuesday, Jul 14

I had applied for a test drive online. Heard nothing for a week, then a sales rep sent me a questionnaire and I immediately filled it out and returned it. Another week, no word. Then today "Your test drive is Thurs, Jul 16th at 10am in Boulder."

I hurriedly looked for a dealership in Boulder CO, but there isn't one. The email had no links under "Location" and just said "Boulder." I emailed my salesrep, but no reply.

Finally, I called a dealership down in Denver and got a salesrep who explained that they bring the car to you! This is certainly nice and convenient, but it would have been infinitely nicer if someone had told me. And I don't live in Boulder, making things all the more confusing.

Fortunately that was straightened out the night before my drive.

Thursday, Jul 16

The sales rep (a different gentleman from the above) was right on time with a Pearl White S85D base model. First thing I noticed: the car is simply beautiful. I've never seen a better-looking car in my life.

We went over all the options and features and so forth. I knew almost all of it from extensive reading.

He drove it first and was pretty aggressive. I actually felt a little queasy to my surprise. Just imagine if it was a P85D.

When it was my turn to drive, I was amazed at the 200 options for ... well, everything. The adjustments to the seat and steering wheel alone where fantastically complicated. I would probably choose something "good enough" and never touch it again. But I understand in luxury cars, you need to have all this stuff. It did make me wonder, however, if I was in the right car for me... I'd never considered a BMW or Porsche... not my style.

The pick up was great, cornering tight, and the best part... when I hit that "famous pothole" down the road from where I live, I barely felt it. That was amazing, actually.

I have driven a Prius T-6 for 7 years, so it did not feel eerie to not hear an engine, but the significant extra HP was very noticeable.

At the end of the drive, the (highly knowledgeable and courteous) salesrep answered the rest of my questions. I'd heard (from these forums) they don't get paid on commission. That's sort of true: their paycheck does depend on their ability to sell cars. But it doesn't matter which model or which options you buy, so they don't upsell. He was also doing tons of market research in the area to find potential buyers and I offered to help.

----

I'm probably going to buy one. But my reasons are lame. Maybe some of you can allay my reservations and tell me you don't think they are!! Help me get to the purchase point and I'm 99% sure I won't have any remorse.

Pros:

• I really believe in electric cars, and I can't do a Leaf after the awkwardness of driving a Prius in Colorado (they are freaking everywhere and they look super dorky). The Tesla is the ONLY good-looking electric out there
  • It's the most beautiful car I've ever seen and I'd be proud to drive it.
  • AWD in Colorado is soooo nice (my Prius is FWD).
  • At 6'1" I can still sleep in the back comfortably!
  • I can afford it.
  • I'm a huge Musk fanboy and this would help support what he's doing.

Cons
:

• I don't need a sportscar or a luxury car and neither aspect appeals to me.
  • The Model 3 will be out in 2 years and I could just wait for a "more modest" car. Please talk me out of this!!
  • I hate the idea of being seen as pretentious or being someone who cares about "conspicuous consumption" or displays of wealth.
  • I occasionally have to travel to (and park in) bad neighborhoods. Vandalism target, no? (I'm thinking of keeping my Prius for THIS reason only! But really don't want to own two cars.)

Notice that my "Cons" have more to do with owning a nice car than anything to do with Tesla specifically. So, do you think my Pros are "the wrong reasons?" I don't really want a luxury car or a sportscar. I don't much car about performance or handling. But I want an all-electric with good range and AWD, so there's really no other option, correct?

This was really the same for me. Pretty much all my reservations had to do with driving an "expensive" car in "normal" locations. I think eventually you get over it, and I'm definitely not as nervous now as I was before taking delivery. Then again, its been less than two months of daily routine, so not many of those situations have really come up yet. Worst case, at least my wife has a more "normal" looking car we can take out. However, we do mostly take mine everywhere on weekends.

It is a very friendly community as I found out at the recent TMC Connect! Wanting to drive electric with a 200 mile range leaves you with one option only. That's why I got an S and why you are just hours away from your purchase. The speed and looks are bonuses you get with the range. And you can support Musk ' s dream!

FYI, you don't get edit privileges here until you've made a few posts.

As for your cons:

• If you're not interested in ultimate performance, the 85D is a great choice. As for luxury, you don't have to take all the options; the rest is mandatory. :)
  • Plastic wrap and a dashcam install with standby power might be good ideas for the vandalism risk.
  • I wouldn't worry about the Tesla image reflecting badly on you; of all the premium brands around, Tesla probably has the most positive image. All you need to do to silence the doubters is take them on a demo drive and bury the accelerator at some point.
  • If you can afford the car you want now, don't hesitate. The Model 3 is worth waiting for only if you need something cheaper or smaller.

There is no negative stigma to the Tesla brand. Everyone realizes that although expensive your are helping to push to world to a more sustainable future. The model 3 will be great when it comes out. Buy now if you can afford it. You will NOT be disappointed.

The main reason we leased our Roadster 5 years ago came down to:
A) It was all electric and
B) It had the range we needed.

I could care less about the luxury or size of the car.
Over the last 5+ years it has only gotten better.

One note for you, the 70D is easily 15% more efficient than the 85. I highly recommend it if efficiency is your thing.

Os, For me, the most important thing you said was that you can afford the car. Once affordability is established, and you want the car, what others may think is mostly irrelevant.

No one needs many of the comfort and high tech features found in the Tesla or other luxury cars. You will learn to appreciate them! Why deny yourself the luxury of a fantastic car and deny a company you admire a sale?

Last edited:
Con: you will not like driving any normal (gasoline powered) car again. I'm on a business trip driving an MKZ with a 2.0 L "eco-boost" engine. I can't get used to the lurching after I press the accelerator. And the constant need to move my foot to the brake pedal. I'm not joking. After you get used to driving the Model S you really can't go back.

Pro: Driving a 300+ Hp electric car is so much fun you never really stop giggling every time you drive it. At least I haven't. I feel very confident that you will have zero buyer's remorse.

Oh, another Con: you might go faster than you've ever gone before. I got on the beltway the other day and it was absolutely deserted (pretty rare in Houston). I floored it. Hit 130 and then chickened out - but it was fun! Its a strange feeling going that fast. (this is a con for me because you really shouldn't do this - might cost you a lot of money)

Con: you will not like driving any normal (gasoline powered) car again. I'm on a business trip driving an MKZ with a 2.0 L "eco-boost" engine. I can't get used to the lurching after I press the accelerator. And the constant need to move my foot to the brake pedal. I'm not joking. After you get used to driving the Model S you really can't go back.

True that. Don't really want to buy another gas car, even for family members where I won't be driving. Just seems primitive, even after only a couple of months and 7000 miles. I thought people were exaggerating about that issue before I bought mine.

Just do it.

MS drivers are viewed in a substantially different light than those who buy and drive other comparably-priced cars.

I have a Leaf and I can tell you I'll never go back to an ICE, even with a vehicle with the limitations of a Leaf.