Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Tires/Wheels Really Tucked-Away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I notice the other day that the Model S wheels are really tucked-away inside the wheel wells. Presumably for aerodynamics, but it also looks good. If you look at the space between the outside of the tires and the inside wheel well, the clearance is very small. I would bet that this was a challenging thing to do. Here's a couple of pictures comparing the Models S to a Toyota Camry.

9058_st0640_042.jpg

Wheel.jpg

Has anyone ever seen a car with wheels tucked-away like this before? I haven't.

Forgive me as sport sedans is not a category I previously looked at prior to the Tesla. What am I looking at in these photos? What is "tucked in"?

Just look at the front wheels (in person) on a Model S and see how deeply tucked they are in the wheel wells. The clearance between the tread-face of the tires and the inner wheel well is very small. It must be for aerodynamics but cool nonetheless.

It's just something unique that I noticed about the Model S and that I appreciate. I wanted to share that appreciation so that others might also and who otherwise may have never noticed.

Ahh. So you are talking about the space between the end of the tire thread and the wheel well, looking forward-to-back on the vehicle. I misread and thought you were talking about the width of the tire thread and how it "tucks in" vs. extending past the fender going left-to-right across the vehicle. Thanks!

Ahh. So you are talking about the space between the end of the tire thread and the wheel well, looking forward-to-back on the vehicle. I misread and thought you were talking about the width of the tire thread and how it "tucks in" vs. extending past the fender going left-to-right across the vehicle. Thanks!

That too, but really from the side view like the pictures. Look at the space between the tire and the wheel well on the Camry vs. Model S. If you were to put your palm on the tire tread, there wouldn't be much space between our knuckles and the wheel well. That's what I'm talking about.