Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key FOB tricks and Uses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
these are all i know..

1) ALL WINDOWS DOWN: press and hold the "roof" (middle) button on your keyfob to lower all the windows at once.
2) Double Click Roof button - unlocks car, Single click - locks car
3) Double Click front of key FOB- open front trunk
4) Double Click Back Trunk on FOB - opens back trunk

anything else?

1) ALL WINDOWS DOWN: press and hold the "roof" (middle) button on your keyfob to lower all the windows at once.

In v6 of the car's firmware, this no longer occurs.

4) Double Click Back Trunk on FOB - opens back trunk

If you have the power liftgate instead of the manual liftgate, repeating this action also closes the back trunk.

Finally, #5) Press and hold the back trunk of fob - opens charge port.

i tried this and it didnt work....how do you open the charge port with remote?

Make sure the car is unlocked (double press the "roof" of the key fob) and then press and hold the fob's trunk button for about five seconds

also, i thought i read somewhere that when you have the charger in hand and approach the charge port, the door opens on its own? mine doesnt do this...
You need to press the button on the charge cable / connector (assuming it's a Tesla supplied connector, ie HPWC, CHAdeMO adapter or Supercharger)

i tried this and it didnt work....how do you open the charge port with remote?

also, i thought i read somewhere that when you have the charger in hand and approach the charge port, the door opens on its own? mine doesnt do this...

Works for me. Push and hold the trunk button. You may just not be holding it long enough. Very handy at public J1772 stations when you forget to open the charge port from the touch screen before exiting the car.

If you are using a Tesla HPWC, Tesla UMC or Tesla Supercharger, you can simply push the button on the charge handle to pop open the charge port. Is that what you meant?

Works for me. Push and hold the trunk button. You may just not be holding it long enough. Very handy at public J1772 stations when you forget to open the charge port from the touch screen before exiting the car.

If you are using a Tesla HPWC, Tesla UMC or Tesla Supercharger, you can simply push the button on the charge handle to pop open the charge port. Is that what you meant?

On the newer D models, you can just touch the edge of the charge port door, and it'll open (assuming the car is unlocked).

This is key. With the Tesla chargers/adapters, pressing the button immediately opens the charge port. The key fob will need to be held for 5 seconds or so before the charge port to open, so it's very easy to stop short and think something is wrong.

This is key. With the Tesla chargers/adapters, pressing the button immediately opens the charge port. The key fob will need to be held for 5 seconds or so before the charge port to open, so it's very easy to stop short and think something is wrong.

Yup. When I first tried it I didn't think it worked since I wasn't holding it down long enough.
Now I use it almost daily at work with a J1772 charger.
Very handy.

Yeah, I was thinking "you know you can just touch the thing and it opens, right?" Didn't realize this was a new feature.
It also closes automatically when you remove the charger.

The automatic closing is only with the new P85D, not with the new 85D. The new P85D even closes the chargeport by itself if you start driving while leaving the port open.