Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NextGen seats, stains and blemishes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

perkiset

... this one goes to 11
Jan 7, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Just took delivery on my new 85D with gray NextGen seats.

Drove it to a friend's house last night and she said that her new beemer leather seats were becoming stained from her jeans and such. In all my other cars I've gotten high end sheep skins, so I am unfamiliar with just how delicate the leather might be. They are SO GORGEOUS that I don't want to ruin them.

Anyone have problems with that sort of thing? Thoughts? I'm clean and easy on my cars, but don't know how sensitive they might be.

Also, has anyone else done high end sheeps over NextGen yet?

My early 2013 car has tan seats and I have over 52,000 miles on it. I wear jeans quite frequently. The leather seats look as good as new without any stains at all. They're not the Next Gen seats, but (I think) leather is leather.

Depends on a ton of variables.

Type and quality of leather.

Type and quality of tanning and processing

Any protective coatings from the factory.

Type of jeans.

Temperature and humidity.

Amount of abrasion

Even whether the passenger is sweaty, heavy, thin etc.

So many variables that while one person may have his seats look like new after several years, another owner may show significant degradation.

Every cow is just a little different, so your mileage may vary.

On the other hand, the Tesla synthetic seats seem to be bullet proof, comfortable and breathable.

In my previous car, my black leather jacket stained the white/cream left drivers armrest (I always drive with my left elbow on the left door armrest).

So I can envision this happening with the Tesla too...

In my previous car, my black leather jacket stained the white/cream left drivers armrest (I always drive with my left elbow on the left door armrest).

So I can envision this happening with the Tesla too...

FWIW, I have a black leather jacket and have not had any issues.

As @Uncle Paul mentions, YMMV but I've certainly been lucky. My previous couple of cars have had black interiors and a friend mentioned that I would likely have these troubles when I told him I ordered the tan. I hadn't even thought of it, and was a bit worried. But so far, so good.

I have an 85D with grey ng seats. In the first week of ownership there was a mark on the drivers seat, which gave me some concern, but it wiped right off. Haven't had any other marks on them. I wipe them down every weekend, but that's it. Car is about to roll over 10k miles and i get in and out a lot (at least a dozen times per day).

I have an 85D with grey ng seats. In the first week of ownership there was a mark on the drivers seat, which gave me some concern, but it wiped right off.

Not exactly sure how I did it, but I ended up with an 8" mark from a blue ballpoint pen on my driver's seatback. I was able to completely remove it with one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers and water.

Just took delivery on my new 85D with gray NextGen seats.

Drove it to a friend's house last night and she said that her new beemer leather seats were becoming stained from her jeans and such. In all my other cars I've gotten high end sheep skins, so I am unfamiliar with just how delicate the leather might be. They are SO GORGEOUS that I don't want to ruin them.

Anyone have problems with that sort of thing? Thoughts? I'm clean and easy on my cars, but don't know how sensitive they might be.

I received my P85D in December, but only received my Next Gen seats in late May. I also have gray seats, and didn't want to take chances with them. I asked the people who had Opticoat Pro'd the car what they recommended for leather protection, and they recommended Cquartz Leather coating. I had them apply it, and have not had any problems. The video below makes the stuff look pretty amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had my P85D with tan nextgen's since March and 2 weeks ago i took delivery of a new pair of dark blue jeans that looked REALLY indigo. Friday I noticed that my drivers seat was all blued up, and yesterday I took some mild soap to it on a colorless microfibre cloth and in two minutes the seat was back as new. From this I believe they are really tough.

I have had my P85D with tan nextgen's since March and 2 weeks ago i took delivery of a new pair of dark blue jeans that looked REALLY indigo. Friday I noticed that my drivers seat was all blued up, and yesterday I took some mild soap to it on a colorless microfibre cloth and in two minutes the seat was back as new. From this I believe they are really tough.

Curious: did you wash the new jeans first before wearing? I always do and notice the wash water is really blue when it drains out of the machine.