Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X vs performance X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The X will already have a lower range (assuming the same battery) due to it's greater weight and poorer aerodynamics than the S.
I would like to have a performance X but am worried that the range hit for the performance model may not be worth the performance gain since either X will be slower than its S sibling.

Can the range decrease be mitigated by careful driving on the long distance trips so that I can enjoy the increased performance when used around town?

I am hoping that this will be clearer when we get more info from Tesla but it will still be a quandary. Is anyone else thinking about this and what are you deciding?

First, we really don't know the numbers as far as the range hit and aero dynamics goes. But, I suspect minor single digit hit.

As far as the performance version, I would expect we see a similar hit to range as the P85D vs. 85D. I'm sure being light on the foot and using cruise control may help on long distance travel. If the active spoiler ends up being in the production model it will be interested to see how much this hit can be negated.

In any case, I'm thinking I'll be going for a performance version. Hoping that it will help with towing more than using it to drag race.

I am hoping that this will be clearer when we get more info from Tesla but it will still be a quandary. Is anyone else thinking about this and what are you deciding?
I'm 100% with you in trying to make this decision.

I would use Tesla data for the Model S as the most accurate estimates and from this blog: Driving Range for the Model S Family | Tesla Motors
I am not saying the Model X will have the same range as the Model S but I'm am saying the relative range between the P and non-P should be very similar.

Below shows if you slow down even 70 or 65 you can easily make up for the P vs non-P, IMO.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/XaeYva2.png
---
XaeYva2.png

---

Image: http://i.imgur.com/bKaUOOB.png
---
bKaUOOB.png

---
In any case, I'm thinking I'll be going for a performance version. Hoping that it will help with towing more than using it to drag race.
Very interesting point and "reasoning" -- I like it and may steal it!

I would use Tesla data for the Model S as the most accurate estimates and from this blog: Driving Range for the Model S Family | Tesla Motors
I am not saying the Model X will have the same range as the Model S but I'm am saying the relative range between the P and non-P should be very similar.

Good reasoning; but I think the X will have range comparable to Model S even if that means a slightly larger battery. I'm guessing the amount of road-testing (and supercharging) that Tesla has been doing is related to drive train and, therefore, battery.

I remember seeing what I thought was a silly high number for the drag induced by the mirrors and thinking that, if Tesla can nuke the mirrors on X, the two vehicles will have nearly identical total drag numbers. Now that would be a coup if you could come out with an SUV, use the same battery and make the same range.

Fingers crossed.

SUV's most always get less fuel economy and performance than the sedan they are based upon.

These are the trade offs for the Utility part of the equasion.

Having a larger vehicle, with more space inside usually means giving up something else.

With Tesla, giving up a little performance is not as big a deal. The SUV will still be fast, quiet, efficient, comfortable and well styled. Just not quite as much as the very pretty 4 door coupe style of the S.

The decision might be more along the lines of ordering the highest performance version at a higher cost, or being satisfied with the still adequate performance of the standard model.

If you need the space, you might need to give up some of the pace : >)

And you swear you do not have any insider info?

What would you like me to swear on? :)

Years of watching Tesla/Elon and millions of hours reading TMC analysis = a logical (to me at least) belief that the range sweet spot is delivered right around the Model S 85kWh level, so combining the heavier weight and (likely) slightly worse Cd means that the Model X should have somewhat higher battery capacity in order to hit the same sweet spot area for range.

My gut feel is that we'll be amazed that Tesla delivers us this awesome monster with range comparable to their sedan.

Last edited:
What would you like me to swear on? :)

Years of watching Tesla/Elon and millions of hours reading TMC analysis = a logical (to me at least) belief that the range sweet spot is delivered right around the Model S 85kWh level, so combining the heavier weight and (likely) slightly worse Cd means that the Model X should have somewhat higher battery capacity in order to hit the same sweet spot area for range.

My gut feel is that we'll be amazed that Tesla delivers us this awesome monster with range comparable to their sedan.
I sense you do not want to answer my original question... :)

Larger battery as a redesign of the D chassis to allow for additional modules in the pack? Or newer/smaller cells in same pack?

I agree a larger battery sounds very plausible and reasonable to me in some form. The arrival of 70D suggests as much, too. Originally Tesla intended to reserve the frunk "microwave" for more batteries. Of course that is now the front motor, but certainly the idea is there. Interesting to see if they've squeezed more density from the pack or what - if they add battery capacity, that is.

On the case of confidential information, on a forum frequented by people close to Tesla, I agree it is often difficult to know where confidential information might affect views and where not. We wouldn't know it, even if it happened. It is a part of the game. That said, I find it pretty irrelevant much of the time. If a suggestion makes sense, it makes sense no matter if it is speculation or telling - a somewhat larger battery makes sense, so it sounds possible no matter from whom. :)

I offered to swear on it. If you're down this way anytime soon we can go see a friend of mine who's a judge and I'll raise my right hand etc. :rolleyes:

Back OT: Is the scenario I'm guessing at so far out that it's not possible?

LOL, no it is not too far out... just curious for planning purposes in the next few months.

I agree a larger battery sounds very plausible and reasonable to me in some form. The arrival of 70D suggests as much, too. Originally Tesla intended to reserve the frunk "microwave" for more batteries. Of course that is now the front motor, but certainly the idea is there. Interesting to see if they've squeezed more density from the pack or what - if they add battery capacity, that is.

On the case of confidential information, on a forum frequented by people close to Tesla, I agree it is often difficult to know where confidential information might affect views and where not. We wouldn't know it, even if it happened. It is a part of the game. That said, I find it pretty irrelevant much of the time. If a suggestion makes sense, it makes sense no matter if it is speculation or telling - a somewhat larger battery makes sense, so it sounds possible no matter from whom. :)

I agree it is plausible, but after looking again at the chassis with the battery mounted, the front motor does not exactly leave much room to play with. Hence the question on redesign of the chassis.
As for more dense battery packs - I think time is ticking closer to this option being more viable. Tesla has had enough time to test out pack configurations etc.

Last edited:
I agree it is plausible, but after looking again at the chassis with the battery mounted, the front motor does not exactly leave much room to play with. Hence the question on redesign of the chassis.
As for more dense battery packs - I think time is ticking closer to this option being more viable. Tesla has had enough time to test out pack configurations etc.

I'm a firm believer that Tesla hasn't been road-testing body parts; that means they've been testing drive trains and the primary reason for road testing an already (in Model S) proven drive train would be to study range. As far as room for a larger battery pack, if the Cd is pretty good then the necessary size increase will not be great....I have no real idea of the math but I do believe that Tesla will give us range similar to the Model S.

I'm a firm believer that Tesla hasn't been road-testing body parts; that means they've been testing drive trains and the primary reason for road testing an already (in Model S) proven drive train would be to study range. As far as room for a larger battery pack, if the Cd is pretty good then the necessary size increase will not be great....I have no real idea of the math but I do believe that Tesla will give us range similar to the Model S.
Fair enough.