Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature request: Leave AC on for (n) minutes when I leave the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading this thread:How do I leave the AC running upon exiting the car? reminded me of a feature that would be awesome. When I put the car in park, and am getting out of my car, it would be awesome to have a button come up on the screen that says:

"Hold temp for 30 minutes?" [10....9....8....7....6...

Then the button would just disappear after a countdown, but if you tap it, it would keep the AC/Heat running for 30 minutes (configurable?).

This would be perfect for grocery store trips, stops at the bank, any errand where you are out of the car for a bit and come back to a hot car. Yes I know you can turn the temp on with your phone, but more often than not, I go into a building and lose signal so I have to get out of my car, wait for it to lock (or walk far enough away).. wait for the phone app to load/connect, then turn the AC on, then go into the building...

Thoughts? (P.S. Please don't hijack this thread with.. "you know what else annoys me?")

I like the idea. Perhaps instead of just automatically popping up every time you put the car in park, it'd be nice to enable that feature under the settings. Just like walk away auto lock, etc. Something like, "Temporary Climate control on exit: On/Off"

Or perhaps it could still automatically pop up, but just in an inconspicuous area (like right above the climate control, the size of the current homelink button <-which should be bigger). That way it wouldn't bother people that might still want to check on something after they put the car in park and won't have to close out of that pop up each time.

Good idea.
which would be better:
"hold temp for xxx"
or "start temp in xxx". If you are going to a convenience store, the first one makes sense. If you are going grocery shopping, or anything that takes longer than say 15 minutes, maybe the 2nd one makes sense.
Either way, it would be nice if it was a configurable option.

Yes I know you can turn the temp on with your phone, but more often than not, I go into a building and lose signal so I have to get out of my car, wait for it to lock (or walk far enough away).. wait for the phone app to load/connect, then turn the AC on, then go into the building...

Remote S app is very nice in that it has a fire and forget mechanism. Basically, you can just tap lock and start climate in the app as soon as the screen shows up and it will do the commands. You don't even have to wait the .5-2 seconds for the confirmation. You can just close your phone after. It will send you a notification if any of the commands failed. Also Remote S opens almost instantly. Don't have to wait for it to connect like the official app does.

in the future, I plan on adding a background scheduler where you can set up rules for certain commands to happen under certain conditions. So something like what you are ask for can be a rule.

The car cools pretty quick so it seems to me that's a big waste of energy to leave a vehicle cooling (or heating) for any length of time when there's no passengers in the car.

P.S. Doggie-mode fine but it'd be even nicer not to leave Fido alone in the car on a regular basis.

The car cools pretty quick so it seems to me that's a big waste of energy to leave a vehicle cooling (or heating) for any length of time when there's no passengers in the car.

P.S. Doggie-mode fine but it'd be even nicer not to leave Fido alone in the car on a regular basis.

I would use this all the time on grocery store runs. Currently, as I walk away from the car, I pull up the app and turn the a/c on. I do this because over the past couple weeks, I've noticed that in the 15 minutes I go inside to grab a sandwich from the deli shop (or something along those lines), my car goes from interior temp (per app) of about 80 -> interior temp of about 95. When I forget to turn it on until I'm at the register paying, it is still sweltering by the time I get to the car.

I would use this all the time on grocery store runs. Currently, as I walk away from the car, I pull up the app and turn the a/c on. I do this because over the past couple weeks, I've noticed that in the 15 minutes I go inside to grab a sandwich from the deli shop (or something along those lines), my car goes from interior temp (per app) of about 80 -> interior temp of about 95. When I forget to turn it on until I'm at the register paying, it is still sweltering by the time I get to the car.

Personally I'd love it if they just gave me an accessory screen when they sense me leaving the drivers seat.

"Enable accessories for 30 minutes? [Yes] 10..9..8...7..6..5"

I often have to leave someone in the car when I just run in the store. This car doesn't really support that sort of behavior. Can't predict if doors or trunk are locked, can't predict if they can listen to the radio, or turn on the air. Sit on a ferry for 30 minutes, can't get the car to go into a low power consumption without finding complicated settings and menu choices...

I've noticed that in the 15 minutes I go inside to grab a sandwich from the deli shop (or something along those lines), my car goes from interior temp (per app) of about 80 -> interior temp of about 95. When I forget to turn it on until I'm at the register paying, it is still sweltering by the time I get to the car.

Sounds like you need window tinting. Our car doesn't heat up that fast and 95F is warm spring weather down here.

Then for that matter... why ever pre-condition? I agree this is a luxury, but we're talking about a Tesla. There are a ton of other features that are also 'luxuries'. This is just another. No need to stomp on it IMO.

Then for that matter... why ever pre-condition?

Pre-conditioning can be helpful to the battery under certain conditions; although talking specifically about the cabin, it can be conditioned to your required temperature within ~5 minutes or less by using the app. Leaving the car's A/C running unnecessarily for 30 minutes just because you or I can't remember to turn our app on only provides fuel for the long tailpipe argument (unless all your power comes from renewable sources). Just my 2c.

I think you can essentially do this with the Remote S app that you can buy on the Apple appstore.

It doesn't do that. And the future planned scheduling stuff wouldn't quite do it either unless your schedule is really regular or unless it has something I hadn't heard planned in a "after lock do x" sort of thing. Right now I use remote S as i'm walking away from the car to restart the A/C. From the apple watch or iPhone its quick and easy.

I'd prefer the OP's idea for sure though.