Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Trade-up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are three Roadsters in Ottawa. One is owned by Natural Resources Canada; you'll never see it on the road but it is currently on display at the museum of science and technology. There is also a yellow one, but I have yet to see it.

Sorry not looking to trade. :tongue:

Oh man - it was worth a shot - I think my latest item will be just as hard to trade as the telephone switch!

I saw you driving north of Huntclub on Woodroffe near my house (I live off of Knoxdale)... if ever you're driving near that area again - I would die if stopped for a surprise visit! :) Tims/Starbucks is on me!

I do need more followers so if anyone on here can spread the word on twitter - my account is @teslatradeup. I also have a fan page HERE and would appreciate some likes!

Thanks again Doug for the shout out!

If you want to eyeball my car, the local EV club talked me into participating in the St. Patrick's Day parade tomorrow. They'll have a conversion along as well as several electric bicycles, and my Tesla. I'll go as long as we don't have a blizzard (no snow tires!).

Had a great event. Beautiful weather, a little above freezing, and the sun even paid a surprise visit. As I had the top down (with the heat on - very comfy), I managed to get a slight sunburn - in March!

EVCO (Electric Vehicle Council of Ottawa) organized a number of electric vehicles of various sorts. There were two cars - a Solectria conversion and my Tesla. There were also several electric-conversion bicycles, and an electric motorbike.

Despite the raucous music following a bit behind us, it was easy to talk to the crowd. Helps to have a quiet car. Any time someone commented on the car we replied back that it is electric. A few people said it should have been painted green, so I replied back that being electric it was green inside. :tongue:

Anyway, it was fun and a great opportunity to spread the word about EVs. The EVCO guys are talking about doing the Caribana parade in the summer. They might be able to twist my arm again.

That sounds like fun. I might join this forum for sure... maybe people will be interested in my quest. :)

I was just curious - did you ever take a drive from Ottawa to Toronto? Can the Roadster make it on a charge? Is there a quick charge station anywhere in between?

I was just curious - did you ever take a drive from Ottawa to Toronto? Can the Roadster make it on a charge? Is there a quick charge station anywhere in between?

A Model S with the 300 mile pack could do it, but for the Roadster it would be at the hairy edge, even if you went only as far as Scarborough and drove at 80 kph under ideal conditions. To be sure of enough range you'd have to drive at 60 kph, which would be dangerous on the 401. If you tried that on Hwy 7 you'd irritate a lot of people, because of the lack of passing lanes. And it would take 7 hours. It's simply not practical.

Tesla is trying to get an HPC installed somewhere in Kingston. If they make it happen, the Ottawa/Toronto trip will be easy. Stop off in Kingston for lunch and away you go.

Hans brought the Toronto demo car to Ottawa on the same day my car was delivered, to do a couple of local test rides. When he got here he was on fumes, but was able to charge up on my HPC. He charged at a KOA campground near Kingston, and they charged him the full rate for a serviced slot for 24 hours - $75. I guess it's not a huge big deal considering what you'd pay for gas for the same trip, but he probably only used $2 of electrons.

A Model S with the 300 mile pack could do it, but for the Roadster it would be at the hairy edge, even if you went only as far as Scarborough and drove at 80 kph under ideal conditions. To be sure of enough range you'd have to drive at 60 kph, which would be dangerous on the 401. If you tried that on Hwy 7 you'd irritate a lot of people, because of the lack of passing lanes. And it would take 7 hours. It's simply not practical.

Tesla is trying to get an HPC installed somewhere in Kingston. If they make it happen, the Ottawa/Toronto trip will be easy. Stop off in Kingston for lunch and away you go.

Hans brought the Toronto demo car to Ottawa on the same day my car was delivered, to do a couple of local test rides. When he got here he was on fumes, but was able to charge up on my HPC. He charged at a KOA campground near Kingston, and they charged him the full rate for a serviced slot for 24 hours - $75. I guess it's not a huge big deal considering what you'd pay for gas for the same trip, but he probably only used $2 of electrons.

I guess it wouldn't be a great initial investment due to the lack of EVs on the road currently. But if someone could open a quick charge station somewhere on the 401 with a strip mall for shopping and eating - in the long run, that would make loads of money I'm sure.

Interesting to think where we are heading with EV tech and what is possible.

I guess it wouldn't be a great initial investment due to the lack of EVs on the road currently. But if someone could open a quick charge station somewhere on the 401 with a strip mall for shopping and eating - in the long run, that would make loads of money I'm sure.

Interesting to think where we are heading with EV tech and what is possible.

Yes. Right now it's painful, but it should get really easy shortly. But what happens when EVs start to get more popular? You're going to drive three hours and pull into the charging station, only to discover it's occupied. Or worse, that there is a lineup of cars wanting two hours of juice each.

I think for the big highways fast chargers are going to be essential. Much of the time you're not going to need a full charge - you might only need 15 minutes to top it up a bit. Just enough time to take a bio break and grab some fast food.

Yes. Right now it's painful, but it should get really easy shortly. But what happens when EVs start to get more popular? You're going to drive three hours and pull into the charging station, only to discover it's occupied. Or worse, that there is a lineup of cars wanting two hours of juice each.

I think for the big highways fast chargers are going to be essential. Much of the time you're not going to need a full charge - you might only need 15 minutes to top it up a bit. Just enough time to take a bio break and grab some fast food.

You are right. That would be annoying to wait that long to charge up... you would never get to your destination. All things that need to be considered I guess.

This is the reason why I picked a Tesla for my quest and not a Ferrari, Porsche, etc... I felt that picking one of these cars would be a step backwards. Tesla is the only company with a 100% EV lineup (with usable range) and I want to support that. The future is EVs - other manufacturers need to step up.

I sent you a PM but no response; maybe you don't check those.

Now that the weather is better, my car is back on the road pretty much full time. If you're interested in going for a quick spin sometime, please PM me and provide some contact details. I gather you're located pretty close to my office.