Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faraday Future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Out by 2017". We'll see.

• It will have 15 percent higher specific energy than a Tesla Model S 85 kW-hr pack. That works out to 98 kW-hr.
  • It's a multi-cell solution, like Tesla's.
  • The company is aiming for the highest energy density and specific energy vehicle on the market.
  • It will be single cell, thermal-runaway fault tolerant (will not propagate to other cells)
  • Single or groups of cells can be replaced.
  • Module designed for mass production, utilizing new processes and technologies
  • Same battery design to be used in all vehicles with only a change in capacity (no change in voltage)
  • The higher energy density allows for larger crumple zones than on the Tesla Model S.

Notable staff:
  • Nick Sampson -- Product Architect, former Vehicle and Chassis Engineering for Tesla Model S
  • Richard Kim -- Head Design, former BMW i8 Concept, BMW i3 Concept
  • Silva Hiti -- Sr. Dir. of Powertrain, former lead powertrain at Chevy Volt
  • Pontus Fontaeus -- Interior Design, former Lamborghini, Ferrari, Land Rover
  • Page Beermann -- Exterior Design Chief, former Creative Director at BMW
  • Porter Harris -- Batteries, former SpaceX

New Electric Car Company Emerges: Faraday Future

Always glad to see another EV start up, and their management and design team looks promising. But who is the CEO and who is funding them?
I wish them all the best!

the article said they are not disclosing who the CEO is. it does look like an impressive list of staff, and if their "boatloads" of other former Tesla people is true, even more impressive.

what funding and leadership could bring in these people... could the project actually be from a major tech giant, similar to how Apple secretly started a group (in the hundreds IIRC) working on an unspecified auto project? I suppose FF could actually be Apple's project.

...what funding and leadership could bring in these people... could the project actually be from a major tech giant, similar to how Apple secretly started a group (in the hundreds IIRC) working on an unspecified auto project? I suppose FF could actually be Apple's project.
Seriously doubt that. Apple keeps new product development shrouded in mystery.

Article says that FF is going to launch a car in 2017. I think that means they will build one concept vehicle and show it.

I really do.wish them well!

Tesla should invest in them. I mean, Daimler and Toyota helped get Tesla through tough times. Pay it forward and if FF is successful, maybe it'll help motivate legacy manufacturers to move towards electrics faster than with Tesla-only. That's Tesla's ultimate goal anyway, right? I wonder how many Tesla patents FF is using. I presume several.

I hope they make it. The more EV companies we have the better choice there is in the marketplace. And all projections say that Tesla can't cover the entire market anyway, so there is room for "Faraday Future".

I don't like the name though. Is it just me?

Atieva

Atieva-hiring-EV-Engineers-Back-1.jpg

Atieva’s website says the engineers who join the team will “work with some of the best, most accomplished minds in the industry,” and that’s no exaggeration. In addition to Tse, the company’s team currently includes many top ex-Tesla engineers who were critical to the initial design of the Model S. Combing through Atieva’s staff on LinkedIn, we found 12 employees who used to work for Tesla, or about 10% of its current design team.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/exclusive-stealthy-ev-startup-atieva-ramps-up-hiring-including-many-top-ex-tesla-engineers/

Wouldn't it be something to have a Silicon Valley Big Three?

At least two new Silicon Valley EV startups... this is fun, interesting, holds the possibility of a large boon to Tesla's mission and new innovation in sustainable transport, and well positioned for voluminous misrepresentation in the media ;)

fwiw, the global vehicle market is growing from roughly 82 million vehicles sold last year to 100 million in 2020. Tesla is aiming for 0.5% of where the pie is expected to grow to in 2020. In my view, the incumbent automakers are not necessarily bumbling fools for widely ignoring the spur of Tesla's success to date... they can still grow their businesses quite nicely for years to come without ripping apart everything they've known for a century in the span of a few years and stranding assets in plants, equipment, trained workforces and engineers. If these are viably funded startups with tech savvy backers and leadership, it's exciting to see. If so, they will both be responding to the catalyst Tesla Motors is meant to be and enlarging it. Looking forward to watching this all develop!

I hope they make it. The more EV companies we have the better choice there is in the marketplace. And all projections say that Tesla can't cover the entire market anyway, so there is room for "Faraday Future". I don't like the name though. Is it just me?
Obvious jokes that come to mind: The car will be called "The Cage" and toll road transponders will have to be mounted outside. They briefly considered "Millikan" but quickly realized they'd need to move more than one electron at a time.

Seriously though, the more EV manufacturers the better. It's not like the majors are in any hurry to invade the space (Nissan and VW seeming to be possible exceptions to that).