Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster Speedometer Reading Incorrectly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S

smoothoperator

I am having an issue with my speedometer it is stuck at 25mph even when charging. When driving the speedometer reads much higher than the speed I am going. The Nav unit and Information Display both read the correct speed. This just happened recently, last week I had put new tires on the car and calibrated the speedometer, it was reading ok up into today.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 536
I calibrated the Information Display speedometer by using the new tires option. This disables Re-gen and t/c and tells you to drive in a straight line for 10 seconds. I ended up taking the car in to the service center today to fix the issue. I live about 50 miles one way from the nearest service center and supposedly I only used 12 range miles during this trip. When I arrived my ideal range was actually lower than the instrument cluster range read out. The trip odometer reading showed 437 miles after this 50 mile commute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I tried to recalibrate but it did not work. I have no idea why the odometer registered 370+ more miles than what was driven. To me that is very alarming.

They reset the Speedometer and updated the firmware... Weird thing was after they updated the firmware I charged up at home and the next morning my Ideal Range read 197 Miles (its usually around 186 miles) and my Cluster Range read 183 miles (usually around 130 miles). This is in Standard mode. Today the ideal range went back down to 186 miles and cluster range went back down to 130. I assumed the 197 mile ideal range was due to the firmware update but I guess not. Does anyone know if the odometer is triggered off the speedometer in the cluster? The VSS that feeds the nav unit and information display obviously comes from somewhere else.

They reset the Speedometer and updated the firmware... Weird thing was after they updated the firmware I charged up at home and the next morning my Ideal Range read 197 Miles (its usually around 186 miles) and my Cluster Range read 183 miles (usually around 130 miles). This is in Standard mode. Today the ideal range went back down to 186 miles and cluster range went back down to 130. I assumed the 197 mile ideal range was due to the firmware update but I guess not.

I've seen this happen, too. The VMS learns stuff about the state of the battery during charge/discharge cycles that it uses to compute the ideal range. Sometimes when Tesla updates the firmware, they wipe the knowledge from the VMS and it resets back to thinking it has a brand new battery. Of course, it learns the truth quickly enough and you're back to normal again in a day or two.

Reactions: DeedWest
3863A5D0-79C3-4C4A-9D91-2DFBAAB3DD59.jpeg

Help, I’m having the same problem. Just acted up on last nights drive. I was thinking my car was a badass racing up to 80mph going short distance from light to light😂

@Smoothoperator, I assume that tesla SC fixed it and you’ve not had anymore problems. Does anyone have a suggestion for DIY before I hand it over to SC? Thanks!

You can only go this far removing the rear, the needles would pop off or break given the required force as the back panel is moulded into the main body. The screen is bonded in place. if you can remove that bonding you can get to the needles. If you could get the screen off you could then address the lack of km/hr speedos with a backplate cover, but that would then lead to someone ultimately putting white dials on a roadster, and no one needs that type of shenanigans going on.

• Funny
Reactions: eHorses