Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Bluetooth question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have a Galaxy Note 3 Samsung phone...i usually have the phone connected bluetooth to wireless headphones, but would like the bluetooth to be connected to the Model S audio as soon as i enter the vehicle. is this possible? or do i manually need to pick the phone from the Model S screen everytime i enter the car?

Wish there was a way for two (or more) phones to be connected to the car at the same time. I have a work phone and a personal phone. Both are paired to the car, but I can only select one or the other to be connected at any given time. Sure enough, the one that rings while I'm driving is not the one I have currently connected! Is this a limitation of the Bluetooth protocols in some way?

Wish there was a way for two (or more) phones to be connected to the car at the same time. I have a work phone and a personal phone. Both are paired to the car, but I can only select one or the other to be connected at any given time. Sure enough, the one that rings while I'm driving is not the one I have currently connected! Is this a limitation of the Bluetooth protocols in some way?
While BT technology can support multiple paired devices to your car, the car itself can only define one phone to use at a time. In theory Tesla might be able to do automatic switching upon incoming calls but I bet it's non-trivial. I don't know of a car which will do that.

While BT technology can support multiple paired devices to your car, the car itself can only define one phone to use at a time. In theory Tesla might be able to do automatic switching upon incoming calls but I bet it's non-trivial. I don't know of a car which will do that.

Me neither. It was just a "wishful thinking" exercise on my part!

It is not a limitation of bt. All my BT headsets can connect to multiple phones at the same time. That said, audio can only play back on one device at a time. However, if audio is playing on one, it will temporarily break in to play audio from another device so things like notifcations are still heard. I think that last bit is more up to the device maker to decide which audio stream gets priority but multiple devices can be connected at once. I've been in newer cars that can do the same thing. It means you don't need to select the phone when changing or if both you and your spouse are in the car at the same time no need to select one phone or the other.

It's a shame the MS doesn't work this way. Perhaps they'll be able to fix it in 7.0?

so for most of you guys, does the car automatically recognize your phones bluetooth as soon as you get into the car? or do you need to select it on the model S Screen?

Yes, and yes.

The Model S will automatically pair with your phone - using the headset/handsfree bluetooth profile - with no manual input needed as you enter or get close to the vehicle. Incoming phone calls are automatic. If you're walking around the closed car on the phone, and you open the door, Model S will pick up the call and play it in the car - this surprises me sometimes.

For streaming media over the phone's bluetooth audio profile, you will need to manually select the phone as the media source each time. The Model S will unselect the phone as a media source when it disconnects, so you need to manually choose it again (bug reported already).

so for most of you guys, does the car automatically recognize your phones bluetooth as soon as you get into the car? or do you need to select it on the model S Screen?

Sort of. As I mentioned above, I carry a personal as well as a work phone. It will connect to one of them automatically, probably the first one it "sees" when I get in. I usually do hit the Bluetooth icon to make sure the one I actually want connected is the one that did connect.

Does it store a copy of the contacts in the car's address book?

If so is there a limit to the number of contacts it syncs with the car? If a contact changes does on your phone does the BT syncing update that information on the car?

I don't think it stores a copy of the address book; I have ~1,200 contacts on my phone and the car never has a problem seeing them all.

Another bluetooth question (may have been partially raised in some Apple Watch threads): I have not had any problems with my iPhone (5 and now 6) automatically pairing with my MS when I get in the car. Its been great.

Now that I have an Apple Watch however the game is more complex. The watch want to pair with the iPhone (to be a Dick Tracy watch) and sometimes that prevents the car from pairing. Other times it doesn't. It does not appear that the watch has an option to disable the "wrist phone" which I would prefer so the MS always is used as my hands free.

Anyone have any insights into this? If you have an Apple Watch how does it interact with your MS?

i have a Galaxy Note 3 Samsung phone...i usually have the phone connected bluetooth to wireless headphones, but would like the bluetooth to be connected to the Model S audio as soon as i enter the vehicle. is this possible? or do i manually need to pick the phone from the Model S screen everytime i enter the car?

Sometimes, when you first pair a phone, it will ask if you want to re-connect "automatically" each time it sees this "device". If you inadvertently answer "no" it may not pair automatically from then on. Try deleting the pairing on your phone and re-detecting.