Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone heard of charging equipment damaged by lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in USA and in summer there are a lot of thunderstorms. This brings the potential or power surges through home wiring.
I often think to unplug our computers when there is lightning in the area.
Now, my most expensive electronic equipment is my Model S. I have been unplugging my charger from the 14-50 outlet as a safety measure during thunderstorms.
Does anyone else do this? Has there been a case of a lightning-induced power surge damaging the charging "brick" or a HPWC or the car itself?

I turn off the breakers to our (hard-wired) charging equipment and unplug the cars in any case; better safe than sorry. We had a strike last week (during a brief unexpected storm) about 50ft from the house; blew a few GFCIs in my shop and a breaker on the landscape lighting, both cars carried on charging in the garage with no issue.

I can agree with the idea of unplugging the car in thunderstorms. But what happens if you go to bed, the car is set to start charging at 2:00 a.m., and a thunderstorm rolls in at 1:30 ? Or would you only charge the car while you were awake? Just curious.

Direct lightning strikes will happily jump across breaker contacts and open switches. Short of unplugging things completely, it's difficult to protect them.

I haven't worried about it, really - it's difficult to go unplug everything I own when one of our (frequent) lightning storms is in the area.

I tend to keep computers plugged in, but I use high end UPSs to protect them. I never owned any electronics worth $100,000 before so I'm trying to be cautious and unplugging the charger/car from the 14-50 I use at home. I do charge overnight at a low electric rate so I'll probably keep on doing it and hope for the best when there are thunderstorms overnight. I'm also going to ask my electrician if he would recommend a whole house surge protector.

I can agree with the idea of unplugging the car in thunderstorms. But what happens if you go to bed, the car is set to start charging at 2:00 a.m., and a thunderstorm rolls in at 1:30 ? Or would you only charge the car while you were awake? Just curious.
I'm a light sleeper and I've been unplugging my Leaf for nearly four years now, when ever storms are predicted.

Makes me wonder if additional lightning protection is called for. IE: lightning rods and/or additional grounding wires to the hardwired chargers. I've had a HAM radio antenna on my house for years with proper grounding and never had a strike. I did however take it down when I bought my MS. I've always been a little worried during storms and couldn't handle the stress with the car plugged in.