Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Graphical Log Parser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Now available from http://www.teslaflux.com/

--

I am nearly finished writing my new Tesla Graphical Log Parser, or TeslaGLoP for short. This tool makes it much easier to review your logs. It has a graphical user interface instead of command line. It can display graphs for speed, SOC, voltage, current, torque, etc. It can also print the graphs, and export segments of interest to a CSV file.

Huge thanks go out to Tom Saxton for his excellent document on the log format. Saved me a lot of time.

I will be releasing the executable as freeware. It runs on Windows XP/Vista/7. A beta test version will be available shortly. Right now I'm finishing it up and doing some development testing.

Before I release the beta, I would appreciate getting a few more logs to test with. I've got a couple from #919, but I'd like to test logs from at least several different cars, plus earlier (1.0/1.5) Roadsters, and hopefully some with many more miles on them (I'm only at 6,000 km). Maybe also a 2.5 just in case there's some undocumented differences.

Last edited:
Screen Capture

Tesla.jpg

Here's a short trip in the Roadster. You'll note that the application is resizable, so you can make the graph bigger. It has navigation functions for moving forwards and back through the log (will probably add a search feature at some point). You can specify up to four lines to display simultaneously, and can choose imperial or metric display units. It also shows the peak speed over the time shown and the starting and ending odometer reading.

Last edited:
Looks like Cinergi has your 2.5 covered but your welcome to mine as well. I've never pulled them - do I just jack the Tesla thumb drive into the usb port near the 12V plug and wait? Does the car need to be on?

Takes about 15 minutes. When the message on the VDS about leaving the USB stick plugged in is gone, you're good to go.

Looks like Cinergi has your 2.5 covered but your welcome to mine as well. I've never pulled them - do I just jack the Tesla thumb drive into the usb port near the 12V plug and wait? Does the car need to be on?

To get the logs use a USB stick and add a folder named “VehicleLogs” to the root, plug it in, turn the key on and off and watch the screen tell you it is downloading the logs.

Thanks Doug. Works great. How do you graph the watts/mile average people talk about during their drives?

Hmmm... I'm not sure how well an instantaneous value plot would work, given that various pieces of information are logged at different times. I'll do some experiments.

Certainly it should be possible to calculate a single average number for the current plot. I was also thinking that it might be handy to show the total distance travelled (the odometer at start and end is shown, but not the difference).

I'll tinker with it tonight if I have time.

Hmmm... I'm not sure how well an instantaneous value plot would work, given that various pieces of information are logged at different times. I'll do some experiments.

Certainly it should be possible to calculate a single average number for the current plot. I was also thinking that it might be handy to show the total distance travelled (the odometer at start and end is shown, but not the difference).

For my excel graphs, I set up a 2-point moving average to simulate a line for cases like these.

Certainly it should be possible to calculate a single average number for the current plot. I was also thinking that it might be handy to show the total distance traveled (the odometer at start and end is shown, but not the difference).

The way I do it in excel, is to plot the ESS_V * ESS_I and then plot a trend line through the data. Tomsax has shown that you can use the [integral] of the speed to get a reasonable estimate of the distance. (the odometer log records only come every 10minutes)

Speaking of features, how about a page for battery health: (using data from the perm_daily records)

Histogram of average state of charge (SOC)
Histogram of Max brick temp
Histogram of average brick temp
Histogram of daily miles driven
Plot of capacity (Ahr) vs days

The daily record is stored in the perm section of the log once a day. It usually has all the data back to the birth of the car. In my case 21 months and 27K miles. Whereas the temp section where the drive and charge records are stored, is only big enough for a few months.

Send me a PM with your email and I can send you the parsing of the daily record.

Last edited:
Thanks for working on a graphical version of the already great programs people here have put together. Hopefully someone works on a Mac version at some point but I have an old PC laying around that I can turn on when I need it so this works perfectly.

The way I do it in excel, is to plot the ESS_V * ESS_I and then plot a trend line through the data. Tomsax has shown that you can use the derivative of the speed to get a reasonable estimate of the distance. (the odometer log records only come every 10minutes)

I was thinking I might be able to kludge up something like that. That's why I said I would "tinker". Since you already know it works, I'll skip the experiments and just code it up. Thanks. (And the other doug is right... you obviously meant integral.)

Speaking of features, how about a page for battery health: (using data from the perm_daily records)

Okay, sounds like fun.

Send me a PM with your email and I can send you the parsing of the daily record.

Will do.