Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lake Hubert, Minnesota- Suggestions for charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone- I'm planning a road trip from Colorado to Lake Hubert, MN at the end of next week to pick up my son from camp. I'm good with charging all the way to the Worthington supercharger, but it's the stretch between Worthington-Lake Hubert and then back to Minneapolis that has me worried. I've looked on Plugshare and the options are pretty slim in that stretch. There is a Level 2 charger in Willmar, but by my calculations that would entail me spending something like 6 hours in Willmar waiting to get enough juice to make it.

If anyone has any suggestions that aren't on Plugshare (or if anyone happens to have a HPWC at a location up there and doesn't mind me sitting outside their house for a few hours)- it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Luke

There are a number of Chademo charging stations in the Twin Cities area. So if you have the adapter or can borrow one, that would help. I just did a road trip to Brainerd, MN and used the Chademo charger in Ramsey MN at connexus energy with no issues (see my post on Plugshare). I charged via 110 outlet (L1) at the Holiday Inn Express in Brainerd MN (note: wasn't listed on PlugShare).

Thanks Glhs- good advice. I was hoping to "cut the corner" and not have to drive to the Minneapolis area on the way up there, but if I can't find another option my guess is that it would still be easier for me to do that than it would be to wait out a L2 charger elsewhere.

Do you have a 60 or an 85? With an 85 you could make Nisswa from Worthington, stop at an RV park if it is getting too close for comfort. Were you planning an overnight in Brainerd/Nisswa? I don't understand how you figure a 6 hour stop in Willmar. Do you have a Chademo adapter?

Have nice trip either way.

I have an 85. My math was that I could probably make it on fumes (electrons?) from Worthington-Brainerd (250mi), but I still need enough juice to wake up the next morning and drive the 130 miles to Minneapolis. My basic thought was to assume 20mi/hr of charge at the L2 charger in Willmar, so roughly 6 hours. I actually went last night and bought a Chademo adapter from Tesla just for this trip, so my plan right now probably entails hitting the Goodwill Chademo in Montecillo, MN. Out of my way a bit, but better than hours at a L2 charger.

Thought I'd throw it out there to see if there were any "gems in the rough" for charging in the Nisswa area, but I'll make it one way or another!

Cheers-

Luke

I have an 85. My math was that I could probably make it on fumes (electrons?) from Worthington-Brainerd (250mi), but I still need enough juice to wake up the next morning and drive the 130 miles to Minneapolis. My basic thought was to assume 20mi/hr of charge at the L2 charger in Willmar, so roughly 6 hours. I actually went last night and bought a Chademo adapter from Tesla just for this trip, so my plan right now probably entails hitting the Goodwill Chademo in Montecillo, MN. Out of my way a bit, but better than hours at a L2 charger.

Thought I'd throw it out there to see if there were any "gems in the rough" for charging in the Nisswa area, but I'll make it one way or another!

Cheers-

Luke

There's a charging location on Gull Lake as I recall. Some sort of resort. Did you check Plugshare?