Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC always seems to run on fresh air mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I've noticed that my HVAC has seemed to always be in fresh air mode lately. I am trying to test it out more and am wondering if there are scenarios when the HVAC would be expected to be on recirc. Over the past couple weeks, I have not yet noticed the HVAC in recirculate mode when it is on Auto. It seems like it would be more efficient to use recirc mode more. I have noticed this trend whether on range mode or normal.

This thread indicates that the HVAC tends to default back to fresh air when put on recirc, and that it will switch over between the two modes every few minutes. My experience has been it always seems to run on recirc.

So, is there a scenario where HVAC should end up on recirculate mode? What have you all experienced?

I have not noticed it changing back and forth when in full auto. If I set it to recirc, which I usually do because ICEs just plain stink :cursing:, it does not ever change to fresh unless I choose it. It is quite obvious when it is in recirc because the fan noise and volume of air increase so much. So if it is changing back and forth in auto, it must also be adjusting the fan speed to keep the air volume about the same. I find it much more effective in recirc when cooling but it can get stuffy after a while.

From what I can tell, "auto" seems to find some intermediate ground between outside and recirc air. Driving home yesterday, I set it to recirc, and the fan went high and felt a lot of air moving. I set to outside air, and the fan stepped down with a similar reduction in noise and airflow. Then I went back to auto, and got behavior that was closer, but noticeably higher, than outside air.

Didn't even know that Custom Auto existed. Didn't see any special indications on the hvac controls that it was in a special setting. I know have something to look up tonight.

If you pull up the controls, you can selectively put a/c, recirculate, mode and fan speed in either Auto or you can override one or more of them. Sometimes I don't want the a/c to come on, so I manually turn it off, manually turn re-circulate off, but leave Mode and Fan in Auto. When I exit, the main control will say "Custom Auto" as opposed to just "Auto"

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm...FWIW my system seems to work in recirc initially then switches to fresh air. I assume that you have not accidentally switched into Custom Auto.

Mine works that way too. If it gets really hot, sometimes it might flip back into re-circulate for a while.

Personally, I prefer outside air over re-circulate, but if it's really hot, sometimes that taxes the system too much.

If you pull up the controls, you can selectively put a/c, recirculate, mode and fan speed in either Auto or you can override one or more of them. Sometimes I don't want the a/c to come on, so I manually turn it off, manually turn re-circulate off, but leave Mode and Fan in Auto. When I exit, the main control will say "Custom Auto" as opposed to just "Auto"

- - - Updated - - -

Mine works that way too. If it gets really hot, sometimes it might flip back into re-circulate for a while.

Personally, I prefer outside air over re-circulate, but if it's really hot, sometimes that taxes the system too much.

Thanks. Seemed I had it on custom auto. So yesterday afternoon I set it to full auto, and it never went to recirculate. No matter how cold I put the temperature, it stayed on allowing fresh air in.
Since I usually adjust the fan speed or air input, I guess I will always be on Custom Auto.

Thanks. Seemed I had it on custom auto. So yesterday afternoon I set it to full auto, and it never went to recirculate. No matter how cold I put the temperature, it stayed on allowing fresh air in.

That does seem odd. On Full Auto, mine will almost always start out on Recirculate, then flip over to outside air as the car cools down. The sound of this changeover is quite noticeable when it happens. Yesterday I didn't even have the a/c on since it has cooled down a bit. You and I are in roughly the same area. Maybe yesterday was cool enough that the car figured it didn't need Recirculate. Try it again when it gets hot.

I find that on Full Auto, the fan speed is often too low. I have my right scroll wheel set to Fan Speed by default. If I feel the fan is too slow, I can just flick it up a bit as I drive, then later press the scroll wheel to put it back in Auto.