Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A run in with the law...has this happened to anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving to Oakville yesterday (about a 30 mile drive) to drop my daughter off at my wife's office so they could go shopping that evening.

I took the QEW (Interstate...60 mph speed limit).

I was pulled over in semi-heavy traffic by an OPP officer (State Trooper)...he got out of his car...and walked up to my Roadster and said "Is that an electric car?"

I replied that it was...he told me to wait and walked back to his cruiser...I said to my daughter, "I didn't do anything wrong" save about 15 km (10 mph) over the speed limit..."You watch, he'll get his cell phone for a picture".

Sure enough, he came back with a nice Nikon camera and asked if he could take a couple of pictures "for training purposes".

Naturally being flattered, I told him no problem...we were back underway few minutes later, both of us laughing about it...

Haven't had that happen yet in my Roadster, of course I have only had it a little over a month, but I've had that happen twice in my Sparrow. The first time was the very first time I drove the car and I had not gotten my plates yet so I was pretty certain I was going to get a ticket. He just walked up and asked me what I was driving, using a couple of curse words to empahasize how different the Sparrow was, and then let me go. The second time the police just followed me into the parking lot and asked what it was.

I've gotten pulled over for speeding once in my Roadster (78 MPH in a 55 MPH zone, but lots of the traffic there goes about that fast or faster). He took my license and registration back to his car, but when he came back he just said "Slow down." and then asked me some questions about the Roadster (he'd heard of them before) and let me go without a ticket.

"We saw you mapped 18 blocks in 2 minutes so we figured you must be speeding..."
google-car1.jpg

EmbarrassedSmiley.gif

Set off from the office at 12pm on a Friday night; ice & snow on the ground, police car popped out behind me and put the lights on. I pulled over under an overpass to shelter from the snow.

He walked up, took my details, came back after a few mins, said I was doing 50 in a 40 in bad weather then gingerly asked, "What sort of car is this?"

I chalk this up to our job to spread the word about EVs so I'm ok, flattered even. I asked if I could get out, and off went the tour. Loads of questions, then his friend turned up; "Check this out, this is an electric car, no engine, no oil changes, no gas, how cool is this? Imagine if we had these, the heater and HVAC works without an engine!"

Result I'd say. He was kind enough to send me on my way with a "You take care, it's slippery out there."

Good story and good work.
I'm sure it was your accent that clinched the deal though. I'm sure it works with the ladies too.

Funny you should say that :). I just got home from dinner out with a friend visiting from Montana & thought I'd search the term 'speeding ticket' to see if a thread was started on this topic. Because, yes, I was pulled over. And I've been laughing so hard ever since that my throat is almost raw.

I was looking forward to a pretty tight ramp down to another street - took it WAY over the speed limit because, well, I can. :) There was a stoplight at the bottom of the hill and I started to slow for that, then realized I had a green right turn arrow, so kept going ... and then the blue lights came on behind me. Bleh. I pull over and wait for the inevitable ticket.d

So I sit there, he walks up and says, 'You just ran a red light.' 'No, it had a green right turn arrow.' 'Oh, I didn't see that, if you say so, I believe you .... what kind of car is this, anyway?' He believes me??!! What about the part where I took a 25mph ramp at 50?? He TOTALLY missed that part in addition to the green arrow he missed. Hahahah.

So I showed him the car, he loved it, apologized again for not having noticed that I had a green turn arrow, and I took off. Whew. No ticket for my completely unacceptable behavior on the ramp (which was repeated immediately on the next tight curve I had on the drive home).

Nice story bonnie!
I'm just curious what stories I'll have to tell when driving with my Roadster. It will be my first sports car and I'm not used to people coming over to talk about my car. With my lightning green color choice I'll be like "Hey world, come look at me!!".

I never got ticketed in my whole live, hope that won't change with the Roadster. The probability sure will raise a lot.

Jeez, that'd suck rx..what a waste of your time it must be to iron things out.

You should make up a little placard that you can place in your front window...put a picture of your Roadster with the hood & trunk bonnets up...put some script on (to the effect of) "Piss off, it is electric!" :biggrin::wink:

in the UK I've had this problem repeatedly.. One even asked me if he could sit in it!!!! Oddly I also get a lot of parking tickets (although EV's park for free in Westminster) - as the parking wardens refuse to believe it's electric!

Last edited: