Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Paint is the most delicate automobile paint I've ever seen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't even have a thousand miles on my multi-coat red P85D yet and I've already got scratches and swirls everywhere. I've never seen paint that was so fragile and I've not even done much highway driving yet. Yes, I'm going to get it all corrected and then Opticoated and XPELed but it seems like the car literally cannot be left parked without significant after-market paint protection. I really love my new Tesla, but the paint is incredibly disappointing. On a $130,000 car, it is inexcusable.

Are you washing it yourself? If not, that is probably the source. I hand wash mine and have not noticed any problems with the paint. I did get Xpel on the front after 6 months. Took it on a long road trip over several days and several hundred miles with only 2 small chips. Scratches and swirls suggest poor care with washing.

Reactions: Gt1948
Are you washing it yourself? If not, that is probably the source. I hand wash mine and have not noticed any problems with the paint. I did get Xpel on the front after 6 months. Took it on a long road trip over several days and several hundred miles with only 2 small chips. Scratches and swirls suggest poor care with washing.
I agree, it's unlikely you're getting scratches and swirls from being parked or driving it. That stuff happens when it's washed improperly. Hand wash only with good technique (two bucket, microfiber towels, etc.). Plenty of posts here about that if you're not sure, or also search You Tube for demonstration videos.

There's no doubt the paint is different from other cars and more easily damaged. Something about California environmental rules. Lots of old posts about this if you're interested-- but careful washing usually minimizes what you described.

There's no doubt the paint is different from other cars and more easily damaged. Something about California environmental rules. Lots of old posts about this if you're interested-- but careful washing usually minimizes what you described.
Pretty much. It's a little prone to swirling, but that can be mitigated if careful. You also have to factor in that you probably had your car a few weeks after it was painted. Those Porsches and BMWs had the benefit of all that additional transit time to to continue curing. My paint seemed to get substantially more durable after it was a month or two old.

I eventually got it Opticoated by Joe here in the Bay Area, but he essentially recommended trying not to wash it until I brought it in to help prevent damage before it had fully cured. Again, I don't know if that's still a best practice, but it sounds logical to me.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I agree. 6 weeks old and this is an example of the scratches on the hood after the first handwash.
image.jpg

I gently hand-wash my car with microfiber cloths and it has scratches and swirls all over. Especially in mystery spots like just above the door handles! Tons of short vertical scratches above the door handles.

I agree, it's the paint. No getting around it. I wish Tesla sold the car with full XPEL included or something, from the factory.

Reactions: dhanson865
You should see mine after 64,000 miles and 2 years :( Had a bird poop on it once, washed it off within 5 minutes. In that 5 minutes, permanent paint damage had already occurred. Spot is still their even after buffing and trying clay. Clay, is a really bad idea, as it scratched the living crap out of it even more. Yes I have done clay many many many times (Worked at Custom Body Shop). The paint JOB is AWESOME! The paint QUALITY is dismal at best.

Reactions: pjoseph