Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-30 Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i got the convertor, it works for about 10 - 15 mins then stops charging. i need to reset from main switch for it work again but it again goes off after 15 mins or so? Anyone else faced anything similar or have any suggestions?

Thanks
Saurabh

So i got the convertor, it works for about 10 - 15 mins then stops charging. i need to reset from main switch for it work again but it again goes off after 15 mins or so? Anyone else faced anything similar or have any suggestions?

Thanks
Saurabh

Did you make sure the car is charging at 24 Amps or less?

If you are using a 50 Amp -> 30 Amp adapter, the car will try to pull 40 Amps out of an outlet rated for 24 Amp continuous.

If the "main switch" is turning off (which I take to mean the breaker in the electrical panel is tripping), then either you are generating too much heat, which usually means you are drawing too many amps (did you dial down the charging amps in the charging screen down to 24A?), OR the breaker could be old and wearing out.

If you did dial down to 24A, and it trips, then I would dial it back further to 20A or 16A temporarily, and then replace the breaker. Make sure it is indeed a 30A breaker.

You can literally rip out the bottom pin on the Tesla 14-50 adapter. It's physically not connected to anything inside the adapter. Once you've done this, the adapter will fit 14-30 and 14-60 outlets in addition to the 14-50. Just remember to dial in 24A if you are using a 14-30.

tesla-14-50-mod.jpg

You can literally rip out the bottom pin on the Tesla 14-50 adapter. It's physically not connected to anything inside the adapter. Once you've done this, the adapter will fit 14-30 and 14-60 outlets in addition to the 14-50. Just remember to dial in 24A if you are using a 14-30.

I would only recommend doing this with the 14-30 adapter, since you can safely plug it in the 14-50 or 14-60 outlet at 24 amps. Doing the reverse allows what happened up thread... overloading the circuit and popping the breaker (hopefully not burning something up).

I would only recommend doing this with the 14-30 adapter, since you can safely plug it in the 14-50 or 14-60 outlet at 24 amps. Doing the reverse allows what happened up thread... overloading the circuit and popping the breaker (hopefully not burning something up).

Unfortunately Tesla no longer sells the 14-30 adapter. If they did, and you had one, there wouldn't be any point to this mod unless you were going to use a 14-60. Given that the car remembers amperages for each site, it's easy to set once to 24A and then not have to worry about it again. If you did forget, you'd pop the breaker in around a minute, which is not usually enough time for anything to get hot enough to worry about.

Wouldn't it be preferable to use 5-20 before 5-15?

I think randompersonx meant by frequency, not by preference.

I made a 10-50 adapter with a 6' stove plug. I used it a couple times, then filed down the N pin so it now also fits a 10-30 which I used over 2 weeks two different times so far.

Oops, I missed this part...
I don't think I've ever used the 10-30 or 14-30 plugs ...

Dryer outlets in the US almost exclusively use either a 10-30 (older house) or a 14-30 (newer). Over the years with the LEAF, I used the 10-30 the most, followed by the 14-x (I have the universal adapter so it fits in all 14 variants.)