Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any interest in getting a group together at Katie's Cars & Coffee in Great Falls, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Only Trons

Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2013
Northern Virginia
I've made a similar post over at TM in the Washington DC region page.

As noted by others, a local Cars and Coffee event held at Kohl's Fair Lakes has been closed down.

However, there is a great Cars and Coffee event every Saturday morning at Katie’s Coffee in Great Falls, Virginia. It has become quite an event. Here is the link to an article in the local Great Falls Connection weekly newspaper:

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/news/2015/jun/23/saturday-morning-special-katies/

In 2013 when I started going to Katie’s, there would be several Tesla cars in the lot. Although I don’t attend every Saturday, when I go now I might be the only Tesla there or sometimes there is one (or two) others.

There are always a lot of Porsches and Corvettes, as well as some real classics. The article in the Great Falls Connection states there are 500 cars each week.

I think it would be fun to have a bunch of Teslas there.

Here’s the catch: this is an EARLY morning event. A few cars start showing up at 5:30 am or so. When I go with my Tesla, I usually get there by 6 am. At 6 am, the side parking lot has only one or two cars in it, but it fills up rapidly and is generally full by 6:45 or so. Then the outlying spaces start filling. Spaces can not be reserved --- it is first come, first served. So if it was desired to have a row of Teslas represented, it would be necessary to have the cars there around 6 am in order to secure adjacent parking spaces. The event closes by 9 am, in order to allow parking for customers of the merchants in the shopping center.

Are other owners interested in attending this event one Saturday morning this summer or fall?

It is held all year. It used to be a spring/summer/fall event, but has since changed to all year (obviously weather dependent).

I'm thinking that it would be difficult to get anything organized before August. Personally, I am not available until 1 August.

Here was my thought process:

Cars and Coffee? YES :D
6am? Noooooooooooo :(

I had enough trouble getting myself up and mobile for the Annapolis Cars and Coffee and that was closer and later!

That said, I could probably also do 8/1 I just might need Autopilot to be released by then so it won't be too bad when I fall asleep at the wheel :rolleyes:

Thanks to all. Based on the responses, I’d like to propose 1 August.

Let me respond to some of the questions/thoughts expressed by others either here on TMC or at TM:

1. Starting/gathering time of 6 am: I’ll quote a line from the movie “Good Morning Vietnam.” Adrian Cronauer (aka Robin Williams) calls out: “Goooooooood morning Vietnam! It's 0600 hours. What does the "O" stand for? O my God, it's early!” Sorry that I can’t change that, but if we want to get together as a group, then it will be important that we arrive early in order to secure adjacent spaces.

2. Does the car have to be perfectly detailed? No, absolutely not. Do the best you can. I try to clean my car before I go but I can’t always get it “perfect.” This is more about getting together as a group of Tesla owners with the potential of sharing our support of EVs with other attendees. Some car owners bring show preparation products such as those from Meguiars to do last minute detailing, but I don't.

3. Can you participate if you don’t have a Tesla yet? Of course!!!! We'd enjoy meeting other potential owners.

I will arrive on site before 6 am -- so those who aren't familiar with the setup will be able to find the preferred location. I have a S85 MC Red.

Should weather become an issue, we can reschedule.

Looking forward to seeing some of you (again) and some new folks!!!

As pointed out by @Bifff67 above, we usually meet in the East parking lot. Using the link posted by @scottreds2k (two posts above), the East parking lot is shown on that map as "Secondary Show Parking" and is orange in color. There are trees alongside that parking lot and it provides some shade in the early morning hours. I expect to be there a few minutes prior to 6 am.

I telephoned the Tysons Corner Gallery this week and let them know there would be a gathering of Teslas on Saturday and invited them to drop by (and bring a car!) if available. I learned that several of their cars will be supporting the Billion Mile Event/Test Drive event this weekend in Virginia Beach, so it is unclear if any of them will be with us at Katies.

It would be great to have Roadsters and Model S represented.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438436604.058069.jpg

Vera and I had a great time this morning. Thanks for setting this up, OnlyTrons!

Lanny