Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DeFuniak Springs SpC to Lake City SpC in 70D doable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I'm planning a trip to Florida. One leg will be from Pensacola to Orlando. The stretch between DeFuniak SpC and Lake City SpC seems to be pretty long.
In your experience is it doable in a 70D (light load, 2 passenger). If not what are my other options?

thanks

I can'e speak for range in a 70D, but based on my trips the safest suggestion is to plan on stopping for lunch/dinner at the Sheraton Four Points in Tallahassee. They have multiple chargers, which are available for their customers (including dining patrons).

I just did that exact segment in my S85 last week. The segment is approximately 220 miles according to Google Maps. On paper it is possible in a 70D with a solid range charge leaving DeFuniak Springs. If you can keep your WH/Mile no higher than 308-310 you should be able to make it - no problem. But if you find yourself at >310 WH/mile I suspect you'll come up short - perhaps significantly. To make the hop, you're going to have to manage energy from the moment you back out of the SuC stall at DeFuniak Springs, and that might mean travelling below the posted speed limit long segments on the I-10. The prior suggestion of a stop at the Sheraton Four Points allows a lunch/dinner stop and provides enough time to get back on the SuCs to Orlando without further concern. I would take that suggestion and use it as part of your plan as the charging infrastructure in northern Florida is very limited regardless of the network. During your trek East down the I-10 there are a number of campgrounds with NEMA 14-50s available to you, should your WH/mile burn not be aligned with your needs. You'll probably want to check PlugShare.com as there are at least three of them listed with very close proximity to I-10.

We need SuCs in Pensacola, Tallahassee, and North of Jacksonville - soon! Those locations would service a lot of drivers, as right now those are decent stretches you have to kinda think about before setting off.

Hi gimmi80 I am going to do that run on the 25th of this month, I plain on doing a 90+% charge at Lake City and head to DeFuniak Springs and checking before I get to Tallahassee see how it looks, will post on here on how it went. I guess if the battery goes dead I can call AAA and tell them I got a dead battery and to bring me a new one:biggrin:

I have made several trips to Panama City Beach from Tampa. The distance from Lake City to my destination is 218 miles. At Lake City, I charge to at least 250 miles rated range (roughly 95%-98% on my P85). I take I-10 until I cut off at State Hwy 12 to start the trip south to PCB. On I-10 I set the cruise to 68 and stay in the slow lane. After I exit I-10, my average speed is around 60-65 because of the smaller roads and small towns I pass through.

Using the above, I typically arrive at my destination with 15-20 rated miles remaining. The lower number occurred when I experienced thunderstorms the last 30 miles of the trip.

I think Lake City to Defuniak is doable, but you will really need to watch your speed on I-10. I think I would be a lot more paranoid trying it in a 70D.

A little guidance for those of you who stop at the Sheraton in Tallahassee. If you decide to walk around the neighborhood after eating, stay on the main drag (Tennessee St) or points south. The area to the north and east of the hotel can get pretty dicey.

Another option in Tallahassee, although slower charging, is the Whole Foods market at 1817 Thomasville Rd. they have two free J1772 chargers in the parking lot. In addition to the food area at Whole Foods, there is also a "Burger Fi" hamburger shop that is pretty good. I have charged there on several occasions and have gotten roughly 18 miles per hour of charge.

The strip center also has a nice shop where you can pick up all of your necessary FSU clothing, tailgate accessories, and other fine goods.

if you are a member of the Fl Tesla Enthusiasts group, there also is a member in Tallahassee that has an outdoor HPWC available.

Good luck on your adventure.

I did this drive in a rental ICE car about a year ago. I would just warn you that I-10 between Lake City and Defuniak Springs is a wide open roadway in the middle of nowhere. If you are the type that likes to drive fast, it will require a lot of self control to keep your speeds low enough to make this leg.