Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, I have had my 70D for about a month and am preparing for my first road trip. I need to make the jump from Worthington, MN Supercharger to Council Bluffs, IA Supercharger. Distance appears to be 199.6 mi. I have a lifetime average of 286 wh/mi over 2k miles, but no long distance drives. Are there any 70D owners out there who have managed to get at least 200 miles of range on a road trip segment? Thanks in advance.

Hello all, I have had my 70D for about a month and am preparing for my first road trip. I need to make the jump from Worthington, MN Supercharger to Council Bluffs, IA Supercharger. Distance appears to be 199.6 mi. I have a lifetime average of 286 wh/mi over 2k miles, but no long distance drives. Are there any 70D owners out there who have managed to get at least 200 miles of range on a road trip segment? Thanks in advance.

Check evtripplanner.com. This should tell you how many kWh you'll need on the trip. I have a 60 and have managed to get more than 200 miles when driving by myself and VERY conservatively, so should be possible with a 70D, but you'll need to manage your speed and drive very conservatively and keep the A/C to a minimum.

Well - I did 194 miles (by google maps) from a Chademo to home. I think I got to 100%. I went between 70 and 75 (and sometimes a little higher) in 95 degree weather with a/c comfortable. My son for some unknown reason needed 2 breaks for a few extra miles so I probably hit 200.

We arrived home with 9 left.

If you can hold speed to 68 - you will have a lot of wiggle room. It seems to be a critical torque sleep number.

I have a 208 trip planned in August. The real issue is knowing where you arrive. I would not want to be under 10 miles with family in car and not have guaranteed charging. Hence my first long leg was to home. My 208 is to a resort that has charging. Even if something is completely broken, at least 120 will be there and we have a place to sleep and eat.

(Note: both these long legs for me involve skipping a supercharger - crazy I know - but it is at least 10 minutes on/off the route and we got panhandled there once with no witnesses if you know what I mean)

Well - I did 194 miles (by google maps) from a Chademo to home. I think I got to 100%. I went between 70 and 75 (and sometimes a little higher) in 95 degree weather with a/c comfortable. My son for some unknown reason needed 2 breaks for a few extra miles so I probably hit 200.

We arrived home with 9 left.

If you can hold speed to 68 - you will have a lot of wiggle room. It seems to be a critical torque sleep number.

I have a 208 trip planned in August. The real issue is knowing where you arrive. I would not want to be under 10 miles with family in car and not have guaranteed charging. Hence my first long leg was to home. My 208 is to a resort that has charging. Even if something is completely broken, at least 120 will be there and we have a place to sleep and eat.

(Note: both these long legs for me involve skipping a supercharger - crazy I know - but it is at least 10 minutes on/off the route and we got panhandled there once with no witnesses if you know what I mean)

The bolded is a critical piece of knowledge. Has this been coming up in thread discussions I missed, or just based on your own experience?

I started with 90%, drove 163 miles, ended with 15%, and I was speeding. So yes, do a range charge (100% to give you some buffer), and 200 miles should be achievable given decent weather and not speeding too much.

The energy screen is very handy. At the 287 wattHours per mile Rated Range (3.5 miles per kWh), the car will go 240 miles.

It seems a somewhat simple task in warm weather and 65mph to meet that range number.

If you're coming up below 287 consistently, slow down in 5mph increments. If you're new to the car and EVs in general, I'd insist on a 20% margin between distance to be travelled and rated range.

Always remember that virtually every RV park has 30mph charging available with your UMC and a "50 amp" RV outlet. There are lots of great apps to filter out those RV parks with that service. Just one hour charging could be the difference between a nail biting trip and a comfortable one.

My comment on the 68 was a mix of posts here (no idea the reference) and my experience. I still haven't done any objective tests - lots of hills every time I have the option....

I do think the "critical speed" will actually be a kw usage level since the speed will vary with outside temps, tires, and elevation changes.

My comment on the 68 was a mix of posts here (no idea the reference) and my experience. I still haven't done any objective tests - lots of hills every time I have the option....

I do think the "critical speed" will actually be a kw usage level since the speed will vary with outside temps, tires, and elevation changes.

Thanks. Very interesting topic - determining when torque sleep is engaged (how do you know?) would be an epiphany.

I think you'll be good unless it is all really uphill. Just do a 100% charge before you leave. Mine topped out around 243 rated miles when I did that and dropped pretty accurately according to the trip viewer - definitely watch that and keep an eye on its estimates during the travels. You can also turn on range mode to stretch out some additional miles on top of that which should help (probably won't be needed). This first time just take it easy, maybe don't do 90+ the whole way ;-) and don't target a time you'll be severely stuck or hitting traffic as that would wipe out your range over many hours.

Have fun - shouldn't have to worry much just going 200 miles as you'll have enough buffer, technically like 15-20% left.

Curious to know how this went. Looking at the 70D and will need to make the Des Moines to KC jump (approx. 200 miles) occasionally during the winter once those SC's are in place.

Check evtripplanner.com.

But in general 200 miles in decent weather in a 70D is VERY easy. I was doing ~10-15mph over the speed limit the whole time.

20150904_231417.jpg

Could've gotten another 20 miles out of the battery when I arrived at the SpC.

I don't think anyone knows how much range the 70D gets in the winter yet (you can estimate based on the 60 or 85/85D). But I bet without speeding, you could probably get 200+miles on a charge also.

Agree with max*. I went from North Carolina to Ohio in June, and after some initial conservative stops at super chargers had several stretches at or over 200 miles when I skipped super chargers and drove less than conservatively and still arrived with 10-15 percent charge.

Whatever the initial trip estimate was, I would end up with 10-15 percent more charge by the end of the trip. For me, found that consistent speed was most important. And the few times I did draft from an 18 wheeler, the range would increase dramatically. Note, by drafting I mean setting tacc at seven car lengths. Even at that distance I saw an incredible jump in efficiency.

good luck on your trip!