Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to retrofit Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this has been beaten to death, so I'm proactively apologizing.

But anyway, if you have an older model S, can this be done ? If not, can parking sensors be retrofitted?

How ow much for each ?

Thanks.

The Autopilot retrofit would require a new steering and breaking system as well as all the sensors.

It would probably be $30k or more, which is probably why Tesla has said they will not be offering it.

Retro Fit Auto Pilot?

Yes, it came up at TMC Connect and the answer from Tesla was an emphatic "NO" to retrofitting the Autopilot sensor package (additional ultrasonics, forward radar, and forward camera) because it would require replacing the car's wiring harness which would require "taking the car apart and then putting it back together". The question about retrofitting the first version of the parking sensors was not asked at the event, but I can assure you that Tesla will not do it.

Yes, it came up at TMC Connect and the answer from Tesla was an emphatic "NO" to retrofitting the Autopilot sensor package (additional ultrasonics, forward radar, and forward camera) because it would require replacing the car's wiring harness which would require "taking the car apart and then putting it back together". The question about retrofitting the first version of the parking sensors was not asked at the event, but I can assure you that Tesla will not do it.
Parking sensors can be retrofitted in some Model S. There are several VIN's that don't have the proper wiring harness connection for the parking sensors. My VIN is on that list.