Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Rear-Wheel Drive 85s Going Extinct?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is certainly not obvious that a RWD version is still available (though it definitely is) which has led some to believe that at some point in the future the S will only be available in AWD, especially since that is the case with the X. But no outside of Tesla knows if that will happen. Certainly Elon is convinced that AWD is better for a variety of reasons, as he stated that at the D launch event last year.

Last edited:
They are de-emphasising RWD from the premium line, and will only have it in products where they need a low MSRP, e.g. the $35,000 Model 3.

At this point the RWD Model S drivetrain/underbelly stuff is the odd-man-out on the assembly line. All the other Model S and Model X variations are dual-motor.

Don't be surprised when the RWD Model S is discontinued, citing "lack of demand" - which isn't surprising when you hide the product away and don't promote it - but it will be lack of demand, nevertheless.

They are de-emphasising RWD from the premium line, and will only have it in products where they need a low MSRP, e.g. the $35,000 Model 3.

At this point the RWD Model S drivetrain/underbelly stuff is the odd-man-out on the assembly line. All the other Model S and Model X variations are dual-motor.

Don't be surprised when the RWD Model S is discontinued, citing "lack of demand" - which isn't surprising when you hide the product away and don't promote it - but it will be lack of demand, nevertheless.

At some point it might make more financial sense to have two motors, then have more Kwh's in the pack from a cost perspective. My guess is model 3 will be AWD.

The extra storage space (or lack thereof on the dual motor) is not insignificant. I would love the dual-motor set-up, but the extra storage in the front matters to me. I realize it doesn't matter to everyone and probably not even a majority.

The marketplace, not Tesla will determine the configurations long term.

The S60 RWD was not a big seller, but now the S70D is a much more popular configuration.

Believe many will chose the S70D over the S85.

Dual motors give better efficiency and larger items that do not fit in the Frunk can be stored in the Trunk.

I too don't care about AWD even here in NJ where we get a fair amount of snow. The extra frunk space is very useful however. I'm surprised that so many people seem to perfer the AWD.

Agreed - love the larger frunk + microwave. Between traction control and low center of gravity it seems to handle all weather conditions just fine, tyvm. But the base price bands between the three are so narrow I suspect very few are currently ordering S85 over 70D or 85D.