Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you lock the car with a dead key fob battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know you can open the car with a dead key fob battery if you place the key fob on a certain spot on the windshield, and start it if you place the key fob in the cup holder, but how do you lock the car if the key fob battery dies?

I know you can open the car with a dead key fob battery if you place the key fob on a certain spot on the windshield, and start it if you place the key fob in the cup holder, but how do you lock the car if the key fob battery dies?

That actually doesn't work. I tried it. You can try it too by taking out your battery and trying it. If your battery is weak, then it will work. But not if it's actually dead. To lock the car in that case, you need to turn on walk away lock doors. Then just leave the car and it will lock the doors after a while.

Better to just use Remote S app to unlock, start, and lock your car. Even cooler if you have it for the Apple Watch.

You can use the lock button on the control screen before leaving the car.

Screen Shot 2015-07-12 at 5.37.02 PM.png

NOTE: This will lock the car even if your fob is still inside, so be careful. ;)

Last edited: