Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"This is the big thing about Tesla that people don't understand" - Yahoo Finance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

This is the big thing about Tesla that people don't understand - Yahoo Finance

As usual, Yahoo reaches new depths of shallow journalism. This quote from the article illustrates how the writer got it wrong:
"Bottom line: Tesla builds cars ... on an assembly line ... and then delivers them to customers. They're fast and networked and everyone loves them. But the business model ultimately isn't that different from what Henry Ford cooked up for the Model T."
Wrong. In fact Tesla is an energy storage and management company that has started out building cars, fantastic cars and Tesla will continue to build more and more of the , but is now branching out into building batteries for a variety of purposes. That business is likely to become much larger than the Tesla car business, which is why Tesla has already decided to expand their enormous Nevada battery factory and make it even more staggeringly enormous.

I agree, and there's a lot more that's different. I realize I'm preaching to the choir here but:
* Internet based ordering
* Cutting out dealers
* Updatable product
* No money on advertising
* Integrated factory/service

I'm sure many of you could add more, and this is only in looking at Tesla as a car company, not, as ecarfan points out, as an energy company, a builder of charging infrastructure, a company integrated with a rocket building company and a solar installer...

It's a great statement. The production growth curves for Ford's and Tesla's first few years mimic each other almost a bit scarily. Ford at that time with his ICE vs. horse and buggy is what Tesla is today with BEVs+all the Tesla concepts (especially direct sales and Supercharging) vs. established ICE makers and their modus operandi.

I get and agree that Tesla is becoming an energy company. But I think at this stage they are a car company fist and energy company second. They started as a car company using a different energy source. I am all for them moving to a higher plane. But an energy delivery or storage company is a completely different animal than an auto manufacturer and I don't want them to lose site of the differences and complexities in building an item with so many interrelated parts that must work in unison. This is ignorance on my part, but I am guessing that building the products that come off the gigafactory assy line will be, from a production line POV, much simpler to do than building a car.

If they are to continue to compete with MB, BMW, Audi, etc, they need to up their game on initial build quality coming off the line. It's good and my car has been GREAT. But I have read an awful lot about quality problems here on TMC. That needs to be fixed at this price point and I am confident that they will do it.

I get and agree that Tesla is becoming an energy company. But I think at this stage they are a car company fist and energy company second. They started as a car company using a different energy source. I am all for them moving to a higher plane. But an energy delivery or storage company is a completely different animal than an auto manufacturer and I don't want them to lose site of the differences and complexities in building an item with so many interrelated parts that must work in unison.
I do not see how Tesla could falter in their goal of building the world's greatest car since that has been their focus for the past decade. My point is that one should not value the company based on them being a "car company". That is very shortsighted and almost willfully ignoring the reality of the Tesla Energy products and the Gigafactory project which from the start has been stated to include significant capacity for battery products not destined for use in vehicles.

It's a great statement. The production growth curves for Ford's and Tesla's first few years mimic each other almost a bit scarily. Ford at that time with his ICE vs. horse and buggy is what Tesla is today with BEVs+all the Tesla concepts (especially direct sales and Supercharging) vs. established ICE makers and their modus operandi.

What I wonder is if they will lower the price of the model 3 each year like Ford did, shareholders might not like it but I bet it's a consideration.

The production growth curves for Ford's and Tesla's first few years mimic each other almost a bit scarily. Ford at that time with his ICE vs. horse and buggy is what Tesla is today with BEVs+all the Tesla concepts (especially direct sales and Supercharging) vs. established ICE makers and their modus operandi.

Several Tesla moves could have come right out of the Henry Ford playbook. Ford wanted to do everything in-house. Tesla brought a lot of parts production, including plastic parts, into the Model S factory rather than outsourcing. Ford had the River Rouge Complex, Tesla has the Gigafactory. Ford fought the Selden patent, Tesla gave away their patents. Henry Ford was notorious for driving his employees hard -- does that sound like anyone we know?

Several Tesla moves could have come right out of the Henry Ford playbook. Ford wanted to do everything in-house. Tesla brought a lot of parts production, including plastic parts, into the Model S factory rather than outsourcing. Ford had the River Rouge Complex, Tesla has the Gigafactory. Ford fought the Selden patent, Tesla gave away their patents. Henry Ford was notorious for driving his employees hard -- does that sound like anyone we know?

Absolutely right! Which is why being compared to Ford isn't bad, as long as you compare the young Tesla company of today with the young Ford company of the early 20th century.

Absolutely right! Which is why being compared to Ford isn't bad, as long as you compare the young Tesla company of today with the young Ford company of the early 20th century.

Makes me wonder what Henry Ford would be building his cars with if he was starting today...guessing they wouldn't be gas powered. And Rockefeller probably wouldn't be going after anything oil related either.

Do you have a good source for early Ford production growth data? I'd love to see that myself.

Ford was a pretty good investment even after the Model T had been selling for several years.

Maybe the real point here is that other car companies *aren't* using the Model T Ford business model. At some point, Alfred Sloan developed the GM business model of selling cars as "lifestyles" through heavy advertising, and using planned obsolescence in order to drive turnover, rather than Ford's model of selling useful, high-quality products at reasonable prices.

The Sloan model has taken over the car business. Tesla is using the Ford model, which is totally different.

- - - Updated - - -

If they are to continue to compete with MB, BMW, Audi, etc, they need to up their game on initial build quality coming off the line.
Y'know, in its early days Ford was considered to have poor build quality. My grandmother who grew up in the 20s looked down on Fords... they were the car for the masses. She, of course, drove *fancy* cars...

But the build quality problems with Fords were strictly cosmetic. The cars worked.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, this is really sounding like the right parallel, isn't it?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by CHG-ONviewpost-right.pngIf they are to continue to compete with MB, BMW, Audi, etc, they need to up their game on initial build quality coming off the line.

Just wondering how will Tesla respond to other car manufacturers releasing electric powered vehicles that have a. significantly better interior quality b. high ranking in vehicle quality?

1. Reduce price of their vehicles; lower profit margin?

2. Improve qulity; higher cost of design and development and materials used?

3. Get out of vehicle business and focus on energy storage / management?

I get that I'm probably feeding a troll here, but you are assuming the outcome of a hypothetical comparison of subjective features of yet to be released vehicles. Furthermore, you are imposing only three choices, when many more would exist, should this assumed/hypothetical/subjective future of yours come to pass. I sense a different agenda than open honest discussion.

Last edited: