Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla backed my inventory P85D into a pole 5 minutes before delivery.. :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I went to go pick up my brand new P85D which I waited a month for and on the way there I get a call from Tesla saying they have bad news.. That they backed my car into a pole! I went to the service station to talk to them and they said they will fix it and it will take 2 weeks. I don't know if I will accept delivery since this is a damaged car and I'm certainly looking for them to compensate me. Now that this is a damaged car, how much is the car devalued?
What should I ask for compensation?

By the way, this was an inventory car with less than 1000 miles and discounted significantly. I literally searched for weeks to find this deal about 30 days ago.

Pics attached. The whole trunk and backend need to be replaced.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4,747
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4,609
Last edited:
Yeah I'm definitely considering flat out refusing the car. Maybe if they offered proper compensation it would be worth taking it but I really dont know how much a car is devalued by having a carfax damaged report

Last edited:
If you're going to refuse delivery, then it would be nice of you to do it now before they've spent the time fixing the car for you. As well, that will reduce your waiting time for a new one.

Secondly, before assuming it'll be on a CarFax report forever, investigate.

I doubt backing into a 'pole' at low speed is any sort of issue for the car and its future functionality, but I am sorry to hear you'll be delayed in getting and enjoying a Model S.

So I went to go pick up my brand new P85D which I waited a month for and on the way there I get a call from Tesla saying they have bad news.. That they backed my car into a poll! I went to the service station to talk to them and they said they will fix it and it will take 2 weeks. I don't know if I will accept delivery since this is a damaged car and I'm certainly looking for them to compensate me. Now that this is a damaged car, how much is the car devalued?
What should I ask for compensation?

Pics attached. The whole trunk and backend need to be replaced.

Even if Tesla replace the panels, getting the paint to exactly match could be an issue as the new panels will of necessity likely be painted at a different time and from different paint stock. A discount in the order of a demonstrator (so you can still claim the tax incentives) would seem appropriate, or just wait for a new car.

They are already very much aware that I will refuse delivery unless they figure out a solution to make this right. I know the higher ups in Tesla management are aware of this issue and trying to get it resolved satisfactorily. The reason why I'm posting this isn't to necessarily shame Tesla, it's because I'm trying to figure out how much this will devalue the car.

Tesla Backed my brand new P85D into a poll upon delivery :(

Very unfortunate.

It looks to be the case though that you are open to accepting a repaired car if "the price is right". Is that a fair thing to say?

Personally, I'd refuse delivery rightaway and ask for a new one to be built. All the unknowns with a repair job both in the short term and the long term are not worth it. I'd rather drive away a spanking new car.

IMHO, what they should do is keep the car, fix it, and sell it as an inventory/CPO. They should move you to the front of the queue and build you an identical new car, starting tomorrow.

If you haven't paid and taken title, it's not your car, it's theirs. Why should you have to accept damaged goods as new?

The vehicle is still a manufacturer car - it's not been titled or insured yet - so I don't think a repair will show on Carfax.

Cars are damaged at factories, in shipping, and at dealers all the time and they get repaired and sold as new without anyone being the wiser. Happens more often than you'd think.

The big question is if this will be reported on Carfax. I just did some digging and repair shops frequently DO report these replacements to car fax under "Car Serviced - Rear trunk replaced" etc. They won't report it as a car accident, but they very well may report it depending upon the body shop. Anyone have any other insight into this?

Doesn't look like that will buff out. ;)

I'd contact your OA and let them know you're not taking delivery until you're made whole. I'm sure this does happen occasionally, so they probably can figure out the best way to resolve the situation. You need them to assure you it doesn't hit Carfax (shouldn't since Manufacturer will be the one effecting a "defect" repair of not-yet-delivered car --- but hard to say since the car has left the factory already - they need to guarantee it won't be on the car's VIN history). You need to insist that the car will not be repaired by a body shop under your ownership or insurance, at all, that it's their car to repair and if they cannot guarantee the Carfax history then you don't want it.

Best is case they build you another car, it's worth the wait, and they make this one a Demo / Inventory car after the repair. If they insist on repair to make you whole, then you insist on inspection and tell them the car is not yours yet until they demonstrate to you 100% the car is normal again, non-Carfax reported, and probably insist on a loaner for your trouble. That's if they insist on pursuing the repair route, which I doubt they would do. I think they'll just bring you another fresh car off the line to your specs. It's not like they couldn't sell an Inventory P85D in record-time.

Ouch, that hurts.

I doubt thatll show-up on carfax given the car hasn't changed hands yet, and tesla will fix it themselves. Would be good to get that in writing from them. In which case, the incident will not devalue the car. And presumably tesla will warranty their work.

That said, with the amount of money you have riding on this car, I'd understand if you'd refuse delivery and order another one.

By the way, this was an inventory car with less than 1000 miles discounted by around $8500. I literally searched for weeks to find this deal about 40 days ago.

That does change things quite a bit, IMO.

I seriously doubt they'd be willing to build you a brand new car in this case, since you weren't getting a brand new car anyway.

Also, once they repair it, i'm sure they'd not have much problem reselling it.

I'd expect them to repair it to as-was condition (and your satisfaction) and offer you a small sweetener (an additional 2-3K off for a free warrant or service plan seems excessive for essentially a 2 week wait).

Given the way they've handled things like the center console backlog, I can't see them building you a whole new car "at the front of the line." (Not sure how I'd feel about this is I were an owner waiting for my car to be built...)