Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Butyl rubber on window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Afternoon. P85D sat in hot sun for prolonged time. Shortly after, I rolled up the back right window which was the most exposed and two streaks of black 'tar' showed up. Searching a bit, I understand this would be excess butyl rubber from within the window assembly. How do folks suggest I clean this? I do not want to damage the window obviously. Regular car window cleaner was my first thought but the stuff seems pretty sticky. Perhaps bug and tar remover? Other thoughts? Thanks.

Afternoon. P85D sat in hot sun for prolonged time. Shortly after, I rolled up the back right window which was the most exposed and two streaks of black 'tar' showed up. Searching a bit, I understand this would be excess butyl rubber from within the window assembly. How do folks suggest I clean this? I do not want to damage the window obviously. Regular car window cleaner was my first thought but the stuff seems pretty sticky. Perhaps bug and tar remover? Other thoughts? Thanks.

I've had the same problem repeatedly with one of my P85D windows. I use a single edge razor blade to scrape it off and then clean the window with Invisible Glass cleaner.

Just happened on on my my windows. I called the Service Center and they are sending a Ranger out in a few weeks to fix it (free only if you're within 15 miles of the SC). Tech said he'll be removing the inside of the door to remove the excess and reapply(?) the sealant.

image.jpeg
Had this too. Just remove with window cleaner or some rubbing alcohol.