Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington Owners - How long did it take you to get your license plates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ibdb

Any excuse for a road trip
Apr 29, 2015
Puyallup, WA
Through several car purchases in several states over the years, it's taken a wide range of time to get license plates. Our Model S was delivered in Seattle on 6/3, and we're still waiting. We're quickly running up against the date on our temporary and wanted to know what other Washingtonians experiences have been.

Thanks!

First vehicle in September 2014, 5 weeks. Second vehicle 2 weeks. Tesla seems to sit on the paperwork until it absolutely must be filed (or at least do them in batches). With this first vehicle my paperwork wasn't filed until a month after I had the car. When I got the second vehicle I asked them to try and make sure it didn't take so long.

Thanks, all.

My delivery person is out of the office, and he was the person that everyone I talked to at Tesla kept trying to send me back to talk to. I eventually got passed along through several people at HQ, the last one able to tell me that the paperwork had been submitted about two weeks ago, and that they expected the plates to arrive in Seattle any time. On arrival, they would overnight them to me. Could be very close.

On the brighter side, that's more time that I can drive without a front plate. :wink:

Thanks, all.

My delivery person is out of the office, and he was the person that everyone I talked to at Tesla kept trying to send me back to talk to. I eventually got passed along through several people at HQ, the last one able to tell me that the paperwork had been submitted about two weeks ago, and that they expected the plates to arrive in Seattle any time. On arrival, they would overnight them to me. Could be very close.

On the brighter side, that's more time that I can drive without a front plate. :wink:

Yup if it was filed two weeks ago then your plates should be coming very soon. Unless things have changed the plates get mailed to Tesla in California via postal mail and then Tesla sends them to you via FedEx.

I'm very aware of the rush to beat the clock. Our original expected delivery date was late-June, but we were fortunate to get things bumped up to the beginning of the month.

I'm a little concerned that the paperwork to get my plates apparently wasn't submitted to WSDOT until almost a month after my purchase and I have less than a week left on my paper plates with no confirmed ETA on the permanents. I've been pulled over twice in 29 years of driving, and once was because the dealer where I'd made my purchase messed up the paperwork for my plates and I didn't have them before the temporaries expired. I might have just drawn an officer who was having a bad day, but I'd rather not repeat that experience.

I'm still in the dark. My DS hasn't responded to my e-mails about it and "they should be here soon" isn't quite the reassurance I'm looking for at this point.

I've had a string of things that should have been simple turn into long, painful, drawn out affairs recently. I'd rather this not be one of them.

To close this out -- our plates were sitting in a FedEx envelope on our front patio on Friday afternoon, the day before our temporary registration expired.

I made several calls and either spoke to or left voice mails with several different people at Tesla and sent e-mails to a few more. I got one email on Thursday morning saying that I should be getting my plates the next day, and that a tracking number would follow. A tracking number never arrived, and no one returned any of my calls.

I've generally been pleased with my communications with Tesla and the care we've received, but this is definitely a case where they fell short of expectations.