Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paying for charging throughout Europe by credit card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm now travelling with my Model S through Europe, and supercharging is great, but sometimes you want to get off the beaten track, and you get hit by the sillyness of different proprietary payment systems, like mobile apps, and RFID cards. I can accept that these systems exist, by that you can't pay by credit card at the charging stations as well is very annoying. They could even charge a lot extra for this, so I don't need to join their program and pay subscription fees, just to charge a couple of times when travelling through. I wouldn't have to order a special RFID card to a French address to fuel up at Total in France, or download an app for Shell in the Netherlands. I have written to the major Swedish providers (Fortum, Vattenfall, Clever) to question this, and have not got any real answers on why, just that they don't support it, and also to French Kiwhi (with no reply so far). I encourage others to write to their national providers and ask why they don't accept card payments, if you agree with this, so they see that there's a demand for card payments. I think they are more likely to give an answer if the question is asked in the local language.

Maybe they don't believe that people are actually travelling far with their electric cars, so they believe that only locals would be interested in their system (at least Kiwhi, France, and Ecotricity, UK, assume that you have a local address when registering)

The only operator I know of that accepts card payments directly at the charger is Latvian MMX Energy.

At least one of the UK operators (ChargeYourCar) allow access via an automated telephone service as an alternative to downloading their app - although they don't mention it anywhere obvious on their webpage (it is mentioned in the PDF operating instructions you can download, and the phone number is shown on stickers on the chargepoints themselves).

However, both this service and the smartphone app rely on the chargepoint being online and the network connection working - experience shows it's safer to have the RFID card.

This really is a problem we need to solve in Europe. I can reasonably expect to drive my ice car to say France and be able to pay for fuel with a danish visa or mastercard.

100's of RFID cards and some of them only accessible if you have a bank account local to a particular country is annoying at best. A "killer" for ev-adoption at worst.

And this is one of the reasons that we will soon have a lot of destination chargers in Europe. Tesla will be solving this problem for us in the same unique way they offer the Superchargers.

Let's hope that they will start the roll-out soon. The result will be just plug-and-charge your Tesla without ever worrying about cards, memberships, apps, and other silly (and expensive) "solutions".

I am patient and 'till then I plan my routes using the superchargers.