Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

WTB, Please -- Tesla 14-30 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ForeverFree

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2015
Sherman Oaks, CA
Hi, All.

Thought I'd bought the complete set of adapters for my new 85D ... even ChaDeMo (which has gotten significant use).

Just discovered, though -- in an inconveniently remote location -- that common dryer outlets are NEMA 14-30 ... an adapter which Tesla has discontinued.

Hence, I'm eager to acquire a Tesla NEMA 14-30 adapter if anyone has one for sale.

Will happily pay $75 plus shipping (to Southern California).

Any takers?

Or you could just buy something like this.

When I got rid of my old electric dryer, I kept the cord and just bought a 14-50R receptacle and wired it on the other end. You do need to remember to turn your charging amps down when you use adapter cables like this, however.

Or you could just buy something like this.

When I got rid of my old electric dryer, I kept the cord and just bought a 14-50R receptacle and wired it on the other end. You do need to remember to turn your charging amps down when you use adapter cables like this, however.
Actually, I was in the same fix as the OP and was hoping to put together a 10-30R -> 14-30P adapter, since the 10-30 adapter I have would take care of the amperage drawn (right?). Having trouble finding the parts, though. (go ahead - google for a 10-30R and find one that's not a TT30 ...) Any advice?

Oh, and like the OP, just the 14-30 adapter would be preferred. :rolleyes:

Really don't like a higher current carrying connector (14-50R) with a lower current plug (14-30P, 10-30P, 6-20P, L6-30P) when using an adapter or extension that requires manual amp adjustment.

Plugs & Receptacles | Straight Blade Devices | Bryant 9337NC Straight Blade Connector, 30A, 125/250V, Gray | B214888 - GlobalIndustrial.com

image.jpg

Last edited:
Really don't like a higher current carrying connector (14-50R) with a lower current plug (14-30P, 10-30P, 6-20P, L6-30P) when using an adapter or extension that requires manual amp adjustment.

Plugs & Receptacles | Straight Blade Devices | Bryant 9337NC Straight Blade Connector, 30A, 125/250V, Gray | B214888 - GlobalIndustrial.com

View attachment 86990
Agreed about mismatched receptacles/plugs, when possible. EVSEadapters is quoting $59 for this kludge:
We can make this adapter as you described, and the price would be $59. However, the 10-30 connectors are not available in a molded variety, so it may not look as nice but it will still function just fine. Here's a rough visualization:

Still looking...

I believe that it is highly likely that some 14-30’s remain in inventory in some SC's since they were discontinued in Jan of this year.
I think it might be worthwhile to take the time to call several SC's to locate this desirable and important UMC adapter (along with the rest of them). jus' my $.02

It now turns out that Van Nuys Service Center has pulled a rabbit out of the hat.

After initially reporting that they had no 14-30 adapters, they searched again and managed to turn one up!

Thank you, though, for all of the excellent suggestions re potential workarounds.

Two months into ownereship, and I am already finding both Tesla and the Tesla community amazing. And, that's to say nothing of the car!! :biggrin: