Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stranded - new Tesla 10 days old

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are no restrictions on the speed or distance. Give it a shot.

Ok well, that worked. Car is drivable. Yay!
But still, I'm pissed that both keyfobs died in 10 days. Is this possible?
Still waiting for Tesla's callback (almost an hour now).
Good thing it isn't snowing or I'm not in Baltimore downtown between Baltimorons.

Ok well, that worked. Car is drivable. Yay!
But still, I'm pissed that both keyfobs died in 10 days. Is this possible?
Still waiting for Tesla's callback (almost an hour now).
Good thing it isn't snowing or I'm not in Baltimore downtown between Baltimorons.

I think it's unlikely that the fobs both died. Something else is going on, and Tesla should figure it out for you. You'll be more satisfied with the result once you're home and comfy. Drive safe.

Are the fobs still not working when you got home? There have been reports in the past of certain areas with high RF interference (near radio towers and such) that cause so much interference that the fobs don't work.

If they still don't work when you get home my money is on perhaps the antenna connection coming loose. Even in that case, putting the fob in the cup holder should have worked.

Thanks all for your help. I'm home - the fobs are still not working.
Cup holder didn't work, wiper blade didn't work

But I was able to drive the car using the mobile app.
The issue of course is, if you don't have phone coverage, then you're def. screwed.
Tesla service called back (took them about 50 mins). They want me to talk to the service center tomorrow morning.
Lets hope they can figure it out.

Re: Phone support - not thrilled that it took them so long to call me back. But once they did call me back they were patient and helpful. Also when they called back, the call dropped half way, I was like DANGIT! Another 50 mins. But then they called me back. I know small detail :). Either way, if things are resolved, quickly without massive inconvenience to me, then I'm happy. Not thrilled that such basic stuff breaks in 10 days, but things happen.

Last edited:
Suggestion: Try resetting the main tesla screen (hold both scroll wheel buttons for 10 seconds). Just to check if that helps.

Tried that

- - - Updated - - -

Yep.. things happen with all brands of cars. But what other car would let you still drive it home by enabling the car with your phone?

So, maybe the title of this thread should be updated to "Thought I was stranded, but this amazing car has built in redundancy!"

I know you are trying very hard to give this a positive spin, but I'd rather not see things break down on a new and very expensive car. The only silver lining so far is that their service is responsive. Don't have a solution yet, but they are trying and are attentive.

Psshht, key fob problems. One of my door handle stopped working and I couldn't get my kids into the car (had to open the other door, and open the broken door from the inside)

It's at Tesla service now, **** happens. I'm sure they'll fix it and in the meantime I got a rental and they're paying for gas.

HUMMMM!! I did not understand what does this one has to do with your misfortune of 2 bad key fobs. Totally uncalled for and rude to knife people just because you are PO for not knowing how to handle your own demise.
BTW I am not from there, never been there have no one that lives there. just think you look to be just a BIG AH.