Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadsters 2008 vs 2010+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember hearing something about that a while ago. I would think that the refinements made to the 2.5 would be more valuable from a use perspective than different connectors.

The 2008 model year also had more fiberglass pieces than the newer models.

Generic response: 'Normal' cost cutting measures find that certain components are 'overpriced' and less expensive substitutes can function adequately.
From what I could see, the changes all seemed sensible and logical. They had to cut costs to make it profitable, and managed to do it while still making the vehicle 'better' overall.

"The PEM (Power Electronics Module), Motor and battery connections are aviation or aerospace grade connectors which were eliminated in the 2010 model year."

Is this true? I have never heard that before.

The PEM in the 2.0 Roadsters is a redesign from the 1.5. Look at it, and you'll see that it's substantially narrower (left-to-right). They also added additional cooling to it, which in my experience makes it work better under high load. I test drove a 1.5 up a twisty mountain road (Page Mill Road in Palo Alto) and it kept having the PEM overheat and cut power. Running my 2.0 on a track never had that problem, although it does eventually oveheat the motor.

In general, I'd perfer a 2.0 or 2.5 to a 1.5. In addition to not overheating, it performs better and has a (tiny) glove box, which I find really useful. I kind of like the push-button "shifter," too, though it's not that big of a deal.

Reactions: AtAge19
The ad claims that:

"The PEM (Power Electronics Module), Motor and battery connections are aviation or aerospace grade connectors which were eliminated in the 2010 model year."

Is this true? I have never heard that before.

Yes it is true. The 2008 used Amphenol's "Amphe-Power" Radsok connectors extensively for all the high power / high voltage connections. These connectors boast some of the highest current capacity and lowest contact resistance in the industry, but these connectors are very expensive. The Tesla charge port and connector are custom variants of the RADSOK line. I've seen at least 10 different ones in my 2008. the most expensive is the GTC01 36-3 connector between the PEM and the motor. That connector pair probably costs +$300, but it can handle 700A

http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/new/industrial_catalogs/SL-391_RADSOK.pdf

Had a quick question, I was reading an ebay ad located here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tesl...Cars_Trucks&hash=item4aa7c5e82a#ht_500wt_1182
The ad claims that:

By the way, eBay exchange I had with them:
---------------

Dear funktionauto,

Description says:
"It’s equipped with lighter, forged alloy wheels which are now an option or available as part of the optional sport package."

But the pictures seem to show the base cast wheels, not the optional forged/sport wheels...

------------------

response:

You are abosuletly right. Thank you for bringing to my attention, I will correct the mistake.
Thank you.

- funktionauto