Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heavy rains in Missouri. Free shower from my pano roof.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had heavy rain here in SW Missouri all day. I got in my new 85d after work to go home and when I accelerated about two ounces of water poured into my passenger seat and as I turned right I got another two ounces of water right in the face. Refreshing!!
I checked to make sure sunroof was closed all the way. It was.
When I got home I opened the roof and poured water into each front corner drain and watched it come out under the car, so those are open. I then noticed that the design of the seal is such that the round seal around the opening is not continuous around the sunroof opening and has a gap. The car was parked on a very slight nose up incline and this gap is at the right rear corner.
Guess I'll have the SC check it out when they replace my rear bumper. ( car was delivered with a defect in the rear bumper cover).
Maybe this is the new beta version of a driver alert assurance feature for drivers who are tired after a long day at work!

I have had a couple drips fall on me. Not enough to pinpoint a real problem. I was going to mention it next time it was in, but it's not reproducible. But I have had a couple drops come down on me.

My new 70D was in the shop for a problem with the sealant. Water stained my headliner. They took care of it but left some sealant on the pano roof around the edges. They also had to replace the black appliqué on the side of the pano.

We had heavy rain here in SW Missouri all day. I got in my new 85d after work to go home and when I accelerated about two ounces of water poured into my passenger seat and as I turned right I got another two ounces of water right in the face. Refreshing!!
I checked to make sure sunroof was closed all the way. It was.
When I got home I opened the roof and poured water into each front corner drain and watched it come out under the car, so those are open. I then noticed that the design of the seal is such that the round seal around the opening is not continuous around the sunroof opening and has a gap. The car was parked on a very slight nose up incline and this gap is at the right rear corner.
Guess I'll have the SC check it out when they replace my rear bumper. ( car was delivered with a defect in the rear bumper cover).
Maybe this is the new beta version of a driver alert assurance feature for drivers who are tired after a long day at work!

I've had this exact issue and the service center was aware of it and applied their known fix. It was a sealant as @pmoa mentions in the right rear section. I have not had the issue since.

Regards, Ben

Had some water pour through the pano roof onto my wife's head while she was sitting in the passenger seat during a heavy rain storm. No damage to headliner and unable to find the source of the leak. Wife was plenty pissed off though. Added to the list of things for service center to look at when car goes in.

I noticed a big recall of Range Rovers for leaking panoramic sunroofs. Seems like these are a universal problem. Mine hasn't leaked, but it rarely rains here and I rarely park outside. If I had to do it over again I'd skip the pano option so I don't have to hassle with it in the future.

I've been worried about this too. I've had my 70D (with pano roof) for about two weeks now. Just experienced the first prolonged hard rain and the roof did fine. I did notice, however that when I pulled into the garage and opened the trunk, a lot of the draining water splashed into the trunk. I guess that'll teach me to keep the power cord and adapters protected. (Duh.)

Wish we could leak check our pano roofs here in California. :cool: If this drought continues, we may be long past the warranty expiration date before finding out if they leak. :confused:

Service center says it is a known issue. The two seams in the front, ( the ones that look like they have black electrical tape on them), the sealant was not applied up toward the top. So if it rains hard enough for the drains to not keep up the valley fills with water past the top of the sealant and viola, water gets in. Seems like I remember a similar issue with the water tight compartments on the Titanic!

Mine goes in soon for the one year check up and I have noticed that the front pano seal looks uneven and a bit wonky. So it is on the list for a check, along with the rear pano guide rubber getting chewed up a bit. But there has been no rain in CA, so I don't know if it would result in a leak. No problems when washing the car as of yet.

best solution would be if tesla made a new option wich is a permanent pano roof. witch can not be opened.
this way we could still have the airiness and at same time no leeks.
this colud also save some weight and complexity - and even the price colud be lower.