Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Emergency Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All new Model S have the autopilot hardware, regardless of whether you pay for the software activation. The safety features, like Forward Collision Warning / Auto Emergency Braking are included without buying the software package.

EDIT: To answer the question, yes these features were introduced with the AP hardware.

per this thread, AEB is standard on all model S's.
No $2,500 Auto Pilot option required.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showwiki.php?title=Model+S+options+by+year+-+a+running+history

Umm... Per that thread it is standard on all Model Ss built since April 8th, 2015 - all of which have the full autopilot sensor package. There was no mention of it prior to that point in the thread.

I believe it is on all Autopilot capable cars regardless of whether Autopilot was enabled - but your question was whether it was available on pre-Autopilot cars.

AEB cannot operate without autopilot hardware, which was included on all cars built from September 2014.

All cars with the autopilot hardware have the safety features of Autopilot (automatic emergency braking, speed limit assist, blind spot warning).
Prior to April 2015 access to the convenience features of Autopilot (adaptive cruise, high beam assist, and additional features still to come) required the owner to have purchased the Tech Pack.
Since March (when the Tech Pack was retired) access to the convenience features of Autopilot requires the owner to have purchased the Autopilot Convenience option.

So the answer to your original question is that AEB was added shortly after the Autopilot hardware (the software was about a month behind the hardware), and that all cars that have autopilot sensors now have AEB.

The reason the cars have AEB and other safety features as standard is that they're now a prerequisite for any car to score 5 stars for safety in the Euro NCAP tests. The Model S was submitted for testing as soon as these features became available, and scored 5 stars.

Don't forget AEB is more than just the sensor package: Tesla introduced a whole new electro-mechanical braking system as part of the feature, too. It's a little grabbier than the original brakes, but a whole lot more competent and not nearly as scary when the rotors get wet.

Is there a video showing AEB in action? Has anyone had an experience where it saved their car?
Not me, but I recall several months ago a new owner (had only had the car a day or two, I think) posted about a car pulling out in front of her from a parking lot while they were on a city street and the car braked strongly well before she got to the brake she thought the car prevented a collision. She even thought the car steered itself away from the other car but I posted saying the Model S firmware doesn't do that...yet.
Sorry I can't find the post I'm referring to, but am very sure I have described it reasonably accurately.

Is there a video showing AEB in action? Has anyone had an experience where it saved their car?

According to the releases notes / user manual AEB only intervenes when unavoidable collision is detected - it is designed to reduce the impact of a crash, not to prevent it.

It's quite possible that this is simply Tesla underselling the feature for liability reasons, but I don't think you would be able to get AEB to intervene for video/demo purposes without doing something properly scary (or driving towards some cardboard boxes I guess).

Not me, but I recall several months ago a new owner (had only had the car a day or two, I think) posted about a car pulling out in front of her from a parking lot while they were on a city street and the car braked strongly well before she got to the brake she thought the car prevented a collision. She even thought the car steered itself away from the other car but I posted saying the Model S firmware doesn't do that...yet.
Sorry I can't find the post I'm referring to, but am very sure I have described it reasonably accurately.

Well, I don't think it's the same one, but a quick google search came up with this thread, which does have a couple of saved the car incidents:

Anyone else find TACC still not trustworthy? - Page 2

According to the releases notes / user manual AEB only intervenes when unavoidable collision is detected - it is designed to reduce the impact of a crash, not to prevent it.

If they stated that it would prevent collisions, they would be liable every time it didn't prevent one.