Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Service Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
Did anyone here get the extended service agreement? I was told it was not an extended warranty but an extended service agreement and wasn't sure what the difference was. I realize the extended service agreement doesn't cover the battery. I have a few months to decide if I want it or not. Thanks.

I got it. It does say Extended Service Agreement on it. It appears to cover the same items as the initial warranty. I would think they'd send you a blank one to look it over if you told them you were considering it.

There is a $100 deductible, which I don't think the initial warranty has. It looks like it is $100 for each covered repair, but once you've paid the deductible for repairing/replacing a given part you wouldn't pay a deductible for any subsequent repairs/replacements of that part.

Thanks. They just sent me the blank agreement. I was sent the wrong one at first and it didn't include the rest of the agreement after the first page. I may do it. I'm enjoying this car so much I'm planning on keeping it for a long time.

How long do you have to decide? I got mine back in April so it's still under a year and I would be interested in it. They never brought it up and I don't remember asking them about it at the time (which in hindsight wasn't a brilliant move on my part). Thanks.

When I inquired, I was told a new owner could purchase the Extended Service Agreement within 90 days of purchasing the car. I wonder if that has changed?

It hasn't changed. They do list it as an option when you buy the car and it's on some of the paperwork as well. I waited until after delivery to make sure I liked driving the car before I decided to get it.

The extended warranty is a must. I believe Tesla charges a Labor rate of $175/hr/ The extended warranty will easily pay for itself.

Agreed. Their hourly rate is outragious. If they had enough cash reserves, they could give the cars away for free and still make money just from the eventual servicing. Unlike the other OEMs, Tesla owns all the service centers. This is where the bulk of their profits will come from, more so than selling cars. If the Model S car has a lifetime of 16 years & 200K miles then look how much money Tesla stands to make on the servicing. Probably TWO replacement battery packs, $600 annual maintenance fee X16, and 13 years worth of broken stuff. It's obvious why they wanted to own all the dealerships -- no competition for the servicing. Rip people off with super high labor & parts and it turns into a goldmine. All that being said, I can't wait to buy a Model S.

You will buy your Model S and the Extended Warranty right?:crying: