Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port lights... Dying again...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So, apparently my charge port hates me. This is the second one on the car, and I really don't want to drive 2 hours to the service center. Getting really tired of this... The lights aren't lighting up... Again.

Is there anything I can do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 618
Mine are dull on half the ring. Can't you just put it off til annual service? Doesn't affect operation, right?

that's what I am doing. I went in to service and they thought I meant the magnet latch wasn't working but to replace the lights takes longer..I didn't have time to wait.
second one too. Kind of pretty with red lights and green when charging or magenta instead of blue

Correct, it doesn't appear to impact charge function. I don't usually resort to KY until there's smoke.

I don't do an annual service, but yea, I'll get it replaced a week before its out of warranty, unless something else creeps up between now and then.

I always wait for the light and make sure that I insert perfectly straight and all the way. I also keep both the plug and receptacle very clean. Have not had a problem yet. But I am always inside when charging, so it's easy to keep clean.

Yes.. Too many jokes and no time. But I would not use any type of lube as it will collect dirt and grit and make things worse. Dry is best...in this case!!!

I thought those puppies were LEDs. Are they not?

If LEDs I thought they'd be either on or off, and very reliable.

The number of premature LED failures I have seen... LEDs can be reliable, but it is difficult to get reliability AND low cost AND high brightness. It's a case of pick any two. I have replaced 10x GU10 LED bulbs in the past year - these are the things that fit into kitchen lights etc. They all fail in the same way, one LED goes out and the whole bulb goes out. Back to halogen for me. These were quality brand bulbs too.

LEDs last a long time (40,000 hours to half brightness), but only if they don't fail early. And too many of them are failing early.