Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers who can't discern between safe following distance and going slowly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of my biggest frustrations with TACC is not my car, it's with motorists who see a safe following distance in front of me and immediately decide that the gap must be because I'm going more slowly than the traffic in front of me. First they tailgate, then they whip around me with a angry look (or gesture), and then they dive into the gap in front of me. Never once realizing that I'm going the exact same speed as the car they're now following.

I'm sure this happened before but it's probably more noticeable now that I more consistently follow from a safe distance, thanks to TACC.

I've never seen an adaptive cruise system that is well suited for medium to heavy congestion. In those situations, folks tend to want to go faster to get around it, and yes, if you have a big ole gap in front of you, they'll fill it (especially if you're in the left passing lane). Perhaps stick to the other lanes if you're cruising.

I wouldn't say only happens with TACC. I drive my classic 85 a few car lengths back from the car in front of me, and travel at the same speed as the car in front. And drivers pass me and whip in front (having to hit their brakes since they are going faster than the car in front of me).
There will always be drivers that think being a car length ahead is a big deal. (This is on a single lane road in the country without congestion).

As the OP suggested, maybe you notice it more now that you are using TACC.

I don't have autopilot feature on my car but I felt like commenting on this thread:

One of the main reason for accidents on freeways is that there is not enough braking distance between cars. What you guys have said has happened to me also and I just stopped getting frustrated because it is not worth it.

I sincerely hope those idiots trying to whip in front don't meet with accidents

I have the same issue, when i am going slower then say 10 i keep it at 1 or 2, if I am at interstate speeds i keep it at 6 or 7 , then with traffic going about 50 and congested I set it to 3. I really am trying to keep from chipping the car up.

I would just like to take a moment to say that you're all being ungrateful. I still have to follow other cars the good, old, AMERICAN way - with MY FOOT! Be happy you have TACC, and GET OFF MY LAWN!

</troll>

Seriously, nearly every TACC-like system on the market does this today, I can tell when people have it and are using it while driving on the highway. You're never going to change others' behavior. Perhaps Tesla needs an "aggressive" setting whereby the car detects a car passing on the left or right and tightens up the distance from 7 to 3 while they're doing it so they can't "swoop and squat".

OP here...

I know that in an ideal world one would only use TACC during sparsely populated highway travel. I find TACC most useful (comforting?) when on a highway during more congested times when traffic is going highway speeds (70-75) one moment and inexplicably slows to 30-40 (and sometimes stops) the next moment. I think these times of highly variable traffic speeds are more accident prone because a moment's inattention (and we all suffer momentary inattention at times) can more readily result in rear ending someone. I love the peace of mind that TACC gives me during this type of traffic.

As others have pointed out, it's during these times that people are far more likely to interpret a gap as an opportunity and exploit it, often with frustration. I'm sure that the rightmost lane(s) would be less subject to this behavior, but they're the most bogged down and typically never exceed 30 to 40 mph during these periods of congestion.

This is a very common occurrence where I drive as well, but I will say this: Slower traffic should stay to the right! I quite often see cars just cruising in the center passing lanes when they are not passing any cars to their right. When I mention this to people I get responses like "I can't be bothered changing lanes all the time when someone else is going even slower", or "I have to move over whenever someone is merging on an on-ramp so I just stay in the center lanes". Really? That's called "driving". North American drivers seem really bad at lane discipline on freeways IMHO.

This is a very common occurrence where I drive as well, but I will say this: Slower traffic should stay to the right! I quite often see cars just cruising in the center passing lanes when they are not passing any cars to their right. When I mention this to people I get responses like "I can't be bothered changing lanes all the time when someone else is going even slower", or "I have to move over whenever someone is merging on an on-ramp so I just stay in the center lanes". Really? That's called "driving". North American drivers seem really bad at lane discipline on freeways IMHO.

In Illinois, we have a "left lane vigilante" law, and state police are beginning to enforce it. Originally, the law stated you could not travel in the left lane for more than 1/2 mile, but has since been amended:
(d) Upon an Interstate highway or fully access controlled freeway, a vehicle may not be driven in the left lane, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle.
(e) Subsection (d) of this Section does not apply:
(1) when no other vehicle is directly behind the vehicle in the left lane;
(2) when traffic conditions and congestion make it impractical to drive in the right lane;
(3) when snow and other inclement weather conditions make it necessary to drive in the left lane;
(4) when obstructions or hazards exist in the right lane;
(5) when a vehicle changes lanes to comply with Sections 11-907 and 11-908 of this Code;
(6) when, because of highway design, a vehicle must be driven in the left lane when preparing to exit;
(7) on toll highways when necessary to use I-Pass, and on toll and other highways when driving in the left lane is required to comply with an official traffic control device; or
(8) to law enforcement vehicles, ambulances, and other emergency vehicles engaged in official duties and vehicles engaged in highway maintenance and construction operations.

It's a moving violation with points... too bad our out-of-state drivers don't know about this other than the ignored "keep left except to pass" at the state borders.

Same here as many said. I tried it set at 3, no good, 2 better, and 1 is best in Chicago stop & go traffic. Even then still have people merge/cut off almost at times but it keeps the gap pretty close. Has been very dependable at this setting so far and safe. The only thing is that I'd prefer 2 or 3 myself for visibility and the TACC is less abrupt at stopping/going at 3+ I'd say. At one it sometimes lurches forward or stops quick if cars in front do that. If I'm in the mood for a nice smooth ride then I just turn off TACC and drive myself...

... "keep left except to pass" at the state borders.

Aha! I think I see your state's problem!! :)

Since I have an old, slow, blind car I don't have to worry about what TACC is or isn't doing. But I have to say regen makes driving in slow'n'go traffic waaaaay easier, especially by leaving plenty of room in front (but keeping up with the traffic). Jumpers don't bother me (I've trained myself!) and I've found I'm much more relaxed and happy. This may be slightly bogus because I only see that kind of traffic when on a road trip, it's not a daily commute.

In Illinois, we have a "left lane vigilante" law, and state police are beginning to enforce it. Originally, the law stated you could not travel in the left lane for more than 1/2 mile, but has since been amended:

It's a moving violation with points... too bad our out-of-state drivers don't know about this other than the ignored "keep left except to pass" at the state borders.

Great law! First time to see the rules in actual words. I have a Classic Tesla too, so I don't have TACC.

Oh actually I don't follow other cars so TACC is not necessary :)